CureZone   Log On   Join

Ankle fusion by corinneg ..... Surgery Support Forum

Date:   6/11/2005 3:53:08 AM ( 13years ago)
Hits:   15153
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=369947

0 of 0 (0%) readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

I am hoping someone can help me with a few questions. I shattered my ankle in Oct of last year. After having some of the hardware removed and on my 10th week of physical therapy, my Orthopedic has told me that my ankle will Never be better than it is now! My joint is shot, there is too much degeneration and arthrits that no amount of therapy will help. I have been on pain medication for over 8 monthes and without it I can hardly walk, I need to use a cane to walk now. My Dr told me the only option I have is to have an ankle fusion done. I have no cartilage left and he plans on taking the remaining hardware out, and literally screwing my foot to my leg. I have about 10 degrees up and down motion now, with a lot of pain and the fusion is supposed to eliminate the pain and allow for no up and down movement at all. I would like to know if anyone has had this done and how it turned out. I am concerned about the wear and tear on the other joints and in particular the fibula side. He removed the hardware on the fib, and I have constant pain there, will this go away with the fusion?? I have read that some people can have almost a noraml gait after a fusion, but I dont have very high hopes for this, if anyone can tell me their story or has any suggestions on how I can get the most movement with the least amount of pain I would be forever grateful!!

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.04 sec, referred by www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=369947