CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Hyaluronic acid and oils and butters by lipshitz ..... Peeling Lips Exfoliative Cheilitis

Date:   11/19/2012 9:23:28 PM ( 9 years ago ago)
Hits:   1,889
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2008026

Hey,

Healing2021, I agree we haven't confirmed whether the peeling cycle is important or not, all we really have to go on is the life cycle of skin cells, and the few case histories we have of cures. If I recall correctly, montrealhomegrown described a lengthening of the peeling cycle before it stopped.

"Normal skin cells mature and replace dead skin every 28-30 days. Psoriasis causes skin cells to mature in less than a week." http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/psoriasis

Not that we all have psoriasis, but I feel this is a good clue as to lip pathology being related to faster keratinization/maturation of the cells whereby they lose their nucleus and undergo programmed cell death.

The non-prescription product I'm using is High Altitude Organics 100% pure hyaluronic acid serum which contains a preservative made from organic radishes and only has a 6 month shelf life. It is marketed as having between 3000-8000 daltons of molecular weight. Ostensibly a lower molecular weight acid has a greater ability to penetrate the epidermis. The purpose of adding the emu oil is meant as a carrier for added penetration, but also for its anti-microbial/anti-inflammatory properties.

However, as I noted in the results of my trial over the summer, it seemed that frequent application of both may have shortened the length of the peeling cycle, which had already increased from 4-8 days over 2.5 months -- but perhaps there were other factors involved which I noted previously. Anyway, I'm keeping it at 3x/day for at least a month and will monitor any changes.

Longterm, my peeling cycle has fluctuated a lot over the last 6 years from 2-9 days, and I'm not convinced we have enough evidence to show that trauma-induced EC is correlated to longer cycles (if we had 100-200 full case histories we could maybe make a hypothesis, nudge nudge, wink wink). It seems apparent that contact dermatitis causes massive, frequent peeling, however, but we haven't had many of those cases here, wgb is one person I remember who resolved her peeling in a matter of months. I think the presence of significant inflammation is a likely factor too.

My sauna visits were twice a week at 1 hour each. My lips tingled a lot at first and I put shea butter on them because I was worried about them drying out. I'm going to start Bikram yoga which will be 1.5 hour sessions in 105ºF heat. Remember folks, I'm not a professional, I'm a long-term sufferer with a determination to heal. Make your own decisions based on the similarities or differences between our conditions.

Peace,
C.S.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.17 sec, referred by www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=2008026