CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: use your head!!!

alizzah Views: 1,210
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 887,171

Re: use your head!!!

Fasting isn't just for Nicole Richie-wanna-be's. Fasting has been a part of life (and religion) for centuries. Jesus, Moses, Buddah, Gandhi, President John Adams, and the list goes on.

I agree with you that some people do take it too far, and some of the posts of people wanting to fast for months at a time can scare me as well, however you did ask "when is not eating healthy" so I'll give you an extreme example and follow it with my own example:

Take a morbidly obese person who is suffering from chroic health problems caused due to obesity, we're talking not only high blood pressure but arthritis, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, etc. Someone who is currently suffering from many ailments and must lose weight to survive. Well there's eating healthy and exercising, however exercise may not be an option to some of these people due to their chronic health problems. That leaves healthy eating, which don't get me wrong, it definatley SHOULD be a part of everyone's diet. However, it is easy to become mentally discouraged at an extreme slow weight loss rate and that can cause a person like this to be discouraged. Not to mention, they still feel awful due to their diseases. Now if one were to go on medically supervised fasts (many doctors have monitered fasts for the morbidly obese) of say 5 days once a month with healthy eating in between until they got down to at least say a BMI of 29, that would be great encouragement and would allow someone to exercise much sooner and feel better almost immediately.

Then there's an average person like me. I've been overweight by about 10 - 20 lbs (I'm 5'9") for most of my life, however due to massive changes in my life over the past year, I managed to gain an extra 30 on top of that. So January first I decided to do just like you said...diet and exercise. I was eating VERY healthy and going to the gym VERY regularly and the first 10 lbs came off fast...then it started slowing down. We're talking 0.5 lbs a week. Not a lot of results for someone going to the gym hard core and eating very healthy. At 19 lbs lost (after 6 months), I had hit the dreaded plateau. I became very frustrated and for a week had given up on the gym and my diet. Then I read about the benefits of fasting.

Now I'm just coming off an (almost) 4 day fast, having made it over my plateau by a few pounds, and am feeling great. I've got a renewed vigor for my healthy Diet and regular exercise.

One thing most people don't take into consideration is that compulsive over-eaters stomachs stretch out. They don't feel full on a normal portion size which encourages them to continue over eatingm or keeps them feeling mentally deprived (take your pick). Well, one thing I just have recently learned, is that the 4 day fast of mine was enough of a rest for my digestive system to where now I can eat a meal and actually feel full and not deprived. I'm once again physically and mentally comfortable.

Fasting is a very controversial topic, and I would never do it to where I was losing my hair or my menstrual cycle, I believe those are both signs of anorexia, however, done properly there ARE many health benefits; both physical and mental. Think of it as sleep for one's overworked digestive system, and/or an awakening to the mental and/or spiritual being.

Fasting and anorexia are two different things and should be treated as such.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.355 sec, (2)