There are alot of insincere and phony believers that only claim to have faith (faith should be borne from love, not convenience) because they find it a convenient way of feeling good about themselves (in other words, they aren't really "BELIEVERS" at heart (they don't really believe in God's ways of righteousness, truth, decency and love & respect for their fellow human being, they don't have the heart of God). They are only followers of A CHURCH organization/institution (club member) and want to be a member in good standing. You are right, they do only desire the worldly status of a pharisee. They don't just WANT status, they NEED status in order to redeem their conscience for the ways they treat people, and they also need to make a name for themselves (ego) because they have low self-esteem, their lives are empty and unfullfilled, they might have many friends, but they are lonely inside (they have no depth of heart).
TRUE believers are 'idealists' (my opinion), we LOVE what is good and right and true (we don't just LIKE it, we cannot feel comfortable around anything but good and right and true, Ephesians 5:9). Yes, that means that a Godly person will often find disappointment in this world (my opinion), kind of like being upset and sad (disappointed) that this world is so 'unheavenly' and sad (low in spirits) that people don't treat each other better. Evil doesn't have to be a big catastrophic tragedy like wars and crimes, evil is anything that prevents good from occuring. We should have the mindset of dividing morality in two (only two, good and evil, not naughty, naughtier, naughtiest) with no middle ground between the two, so that the change from good to evil is clear and abrupt ("...no shadow or variariation due to change", James 1:17). We should make a clear division between right and wrong (The Lord did not come to bring peace on earth so everyone could simply continue doing whatever they feel like, but to create in our hearts "DIVISION", Luke 12:51) and we should make that division as a sword would clearly seperate morality. Ephesians 6:17 (sword of the spirit) is the word that we should live by (because it presently proceeds from His MOUTH) when God's spirit speaks to each one of us and teaches us TRUE righteousness (not self-righteousness), but many people rather be students of the pastors and scholars rather than good students of the Spirit. This is generally not taught in the institutions (church buildings) for a couple of reasons:
1) All throughout history, most people (humanity/society, pastor's and scholars included) simply could not understand that 'sin' is nothing more than imperfection. Therefore, it has always been believed that Godliness is nothing more than the avoidance of sin and the condemnation of it.
2) It is unnatural for people to have a conscience. Human nature is that we are all in competition with each other (instead of respecting each other) and it is more comfortable to treat scripture as a textbook and roadmap to heaven instead of a guide so that we can learn how to HEAR God's word from His spirit (it is a 'how to' HEAR book). 1 Timothy 1:19 "By rejecting CONSCIENCE (the tree that Adam and Eve ate from), some have made shipwreck (caused damage, needs repair) of their (relationship) faith...".
3) fear of God, (even though scripture says "WE" (meaning UNBELIEVERS should fear BEFORE coming to know Him), after coming to accept God into our lives, we should love Him with every fiber of our being (Mark 12:30 "Love The Lord your God with ALL...", 1 John 4:18 "...PERFECT love casts out fear..."Isaiah 29:13 God says "...their fear of me is a comandment of MEN...").
4) God is LOVE, and [true] 'love' is a very strange concept to humanity. It is universally taught in churches that there are TYPES of love. Common sense is that love is a singular attitude of mind and heart (if you like something, you like it, same thing with the attitude of love). Agape, philos, eros and storge are types of love RELATIONSHIPS, not love itself. If someone is taught to misunderstand what LOVE is, then they won't be able to correctly understand "the depths of God" (1 Corinthians 2:10).
5) Jesus came to purify our souls so that we would be eligible to return to The Father of humanity in heaven by accepting His sacrifice, then He left His spirit to teach us how to be righteous and learn to be able to stand before Him every day with a clear conscience, but many people only hunger for the for 'the bread of life' (Jesus) and don't drink of The Spirit (Hebrews 9:14 and Revelation 7:16) instead of moving on to maturity (Hebrews 6:1).
John 7:38 if someone TRULY believes in The Lord, living waters (tears of sorrow and compassion) will be in "their heart".