The only good results I had with hydroponics came when I was spraying microbial bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi directly on the roots, but I had to do it frequently as the flood and drain system would wash them off the roots. As you can imagine the expenses started mounting so I pulled out. But you are right that even with the bacteria and fungi the brix level was nominal because of the acid/alkaline balance being out of whack.
I anxiously await the day I have a piece of land big enough to grow my own food on. It will be much more symbiotic.
Tried to get my mother to take an alkalizing drink today, she barely got it down with a 1/2 teaspoon of kelp powder. It got me to wondering if the geletanous coating causes more harm than good with the kelp capsules, or if it is essentially harmless?
Out of curiosity, do you consume any microbial innoculant or probiotics?