CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Prepping Soil In The Fall

cass.gr Views: 929
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 762,128

Re: Prepping Soil In The Fall

Sorry I but my answers in brackets and the site must have thought them HTML codes.

Do you have any idea what kind of soil you have ?
~Mid-west black dirt~

Like what is it derived from--Limestone base--Granite Base--Sandstone base--or is it from the Glaciers--or from river washings--is it Clay or sandy ?
~Northern Illinois close to Chicago. The best answer I could provide would be glaciers as I know its been said that glaciers have made rivers to lake Michigan~

Does it have good drainage or is it tend to be wet and sticky ?
~Most likely wet and sticky. I've also been told the reason my back yard is so bumpy is their used to be a small creek their but it was filled in for construction probably in the 50's or 60's. Its been rumored that their is large garbage buried in their like refrigerators ect...~

What color is the top soil of it and what color is the subsoil of it ?
~Its very dark black soil. I do not think I could dig deep enough to see subsoil?~

Does it have small rocks in it or is it mostly clay or sand /
~Small rocks. Perhaps small amount of sand little to no clay I'd think.~

What crops do you want to grow ?
~The most nutrient dense veggies I can in my area and or what will provide me with the most product as I only have small space. I was hoping I could plant “spring” crops first and “winter” crops after spring crop harvest. I’m not yet sure if that is possible. I know so little right now about gardening.

If I were brave, I'd try to grow celery. I love my carrot / celery juices but "ALL" the available celery I can get is only 2 BRIX~

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.531 sec, (1)