CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: PLEASE READ ABOUT MY BIOPSY AND HYPERKERATOSIS and OIL GLANDS

dm0923 Views: 3,445
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 726,926

Re: PLEASE READ ABOUT MY BIOPSY AND HYPERKERATOSIS and OIL GLANDS

Hey everyone. Just for reference, I think the white spots are called “Forcyce Spots,” and they are a type of sebaceous gland. Here’s a small blurb from Wikipedia:

“The sebaceous glands are holocrine found in the skin of mammals. They secrete an oily substance called sebum (Latin, meaning fat or tallow) that is made of fat (lipids) and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. These glands exist in humans throughout the skin except in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. Sebum acts to protect and waterproof hair and skin, and keep them from becoming dry, brittle, and cracked. It can also inhibit the growth of microorganisms on skin.”

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland

Following a Wiki link, it mentioned that the spots are sometimes associated with skin problems such as keratosis pilaris.

“Keratosis pilaris tends to occur as excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin, accumulates around hair follicles (process known as hyperkeratinization). Bearing only cosmetic consequence, the condition most often appears as a proliferation of tiny hard bumps that are seldom sore or itchy. Though people with keratosis pilaris experience this condition year round, it’s during the colder months when moisture levels in the air are lower that the problem can become exacerbated and the “goose bumps” are apt to look and feel more pronounced in color and texture.
There is no cure for Keratosis pilaris; treatments are largely symptomatic and must be repeated. Regardless, exfoliation, intensive moisturizing cremes, Retin-A, lac-hydrin, and medicated lotions containing alpha-hydroxy acids or urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin. It seems coconut oil used on the affected areas during showers benefits a lot, and in some cases, can even make KP disappear.
Wearing clothing that is looser around the affected areas can also help reduce the marks, as constant chafing from clothing (such as tight fitting jeans) is similar to repeatedly scratching the bumps.
Keratosis pilaris often improves with age, and can even disappear completely by middle-age. Some, however, will have keratosis pilaris for life.”
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

I have a few tiny bumps around my elbows that might resemble this and also maybe a teeny-tiny bit of Psoriasis (but it hardly noticeable).

As mentioned in a previous post, deacetylated chitosan (which seems to be commonly available as a fiber supplement) might inhibit fibroblast proliferation; fibroblasts are responsible for producing keratinocyte growth factor. Maybe such an inhibition might help to reduce hyperkeratinization.

PS. Thanks for posting the additional biopsy info…every little bit of scientific info that we can get will be super helpful.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.719 sec, (2)