CureZone   Log On   Join
Info on Brewers Yeast

electravan Views: 905
Published: 16 years ago

Info on Brewers Yeast

Both in Brewers' and Primarily Dried Yeasts, the cell crop - as it grows - develops the excellent protein, vitamins, and other metabolically essential components for which cerevisiae yeast are noted. The drying process, which is the last step in the production of Dried Yeast, destroys the fermenting power and the enzyme activity of the yeast and releases its nutritional components for easy digestion and ready assimilation.

PRIMARY DRIED YEAST is grown as a food crop in nutritive media (wort) composed of cane or blackstrap molases, beet molasses and mineral solutions. After the yeast cells have grown to a desired concentration, they are harvested as a thick slurry and washed free of wort. The washed cells are then died (inactivated). Similar strain of this yeast, when washed and pressed into cakes or dried in a special way to preserve the activity, are marketed as bakers' yeast and used to leaven bread.

(NOTE to MH - Primary dried yeast and Nutritional yeast are grown on molasses - Brewer's yeast is not - see below. In addition, Brewer's yeast does not have the ability to ferment. Maybe what you've been using in your berry drink is Primary Yeast?)

BREWERS' DRIED YEAST is grown in a wort consisting of an aqueous extract of malt and hops. As the worst is converted by fermentation to the familiar malt beverages - beer and ale, there is a marked increase in the amount of yeast cells through budding. These yeast cells are then harvested as a thick slurry and washed free of residual wort with neutral or alkaline water. This helps remove the original bitter flavor of the hops and gives the product a blander flavor. The washed cells are then dried.

THE PROTEIN OF DRIED YEAST AND ITS SUPPLEMENTAL VALUE
Dried Yeast is an inexpensive source of high quality protein. Cerevisiae yeast protein compares favorably with the protein of recognized protective foods such as milk or eggs.
Murlin and his co-workers found that dried Cerevisiae yeast protein was 87 percent digestible. This compares to 96 percent for whole egg and 97 percent for lean beef. These investigators also found that the biological value of cerevisiae yeast protein was 87 percent, compared to 97 percent for whole egg and 84 percent for beef.

This makes possible a comparison of the cost of the yeast protein with that of fresh beef protein. For the same money, Dried Yeast provides four to six times as much digestible protein as does fresh beef (at $.80 per pound).

MH -
It sounds to me like brewer's yeast is something that everyone who is considering giving up meat should think about supplementing with, in addition to lecithin. Why do you say that brewers yeast is too strong for most people? If you suggest to people that there are good reasons for giving up meat, yet don't provide inforamtion to help them in that process, it seems like you're less interested in helping people. Further, you advise against supplementation, but aren't these two items considered supplements?

I have to say that as a nursing mom, when I don't take a supplement (pre-natal type), I feel like the life is getting sucked out of me (literally) and my hair falls out! It's obvious that you know that people eating only berries/fruits/nuts need to supplement because you do it yourself. I'm sure that if my system was "clean" I might mot have to take supplements, but for now they do more good than harm for me.

*see link for source of info

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.406 sec, (2)