CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Mirena IUD Side Effects

Views: 53,369
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 69,720

Re: Mirena IUD Side Effects

I had the Mirena inserted in June of 2004, so it's been about 5 months. I had spotting and cramps the first month or so but now my period is gone. However, I am experiencing horrible cramps around the clock. The other night I actually thought that the IUD had dug into my uterus, the pain was so severely sharp.

The only other choice I have for birth control is condoms, because I have experienced allergic reactions to spermicides and the pill cause me to have a blood clot in my brain. Speaking of which, I would like to warn everyone of this...you know how they say "if you are a smoker over 35, you may run the risk of blood clots"? Well, I was 19 and a non-smoker, I got a blood clot in my brain after being on the pill for just one year. I almost died, was in a medicated coma for 2 weeks. So please, if you are taking hormones, i.e. birth control pill, be on the lookout for severe headaches or calf cramps, it could be a blood clot which can lead to hemmorage or stroke.

Back to Mirena, my main concern now is now that I don't get my period anymore, how can I tell if I am pregnant? Do I just need to keep buying tests every month? Is there a more affordable way to tell? Is anyone else experiencing this dilemma?

My other side effects may be vaginal itching, fatigue, Depression and weight gain, however, I have a history of depression, am getting over an eating disorder and am a first year law student so I can't necessarily point the finger at Mirena. All in all, I like that I don't have my period anymore and that I don't have to mess with condoms. The insertion was awful, I passed out! I would suggest to take some pain killers beforehand if you are going in for an insertion.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

4.359 sec, (1)