I am glad that you choose not to take Accutane. Most people would if they just knew what the substance does to the brain and body. Some would still take it, because they have not understood how bad Accutane is for the brain, but also as said for the liver, kidneys, heart, lungs, skeletal tissue and more.
The drug should have been taken off the market, a long time ago, but there is a lot of money in Accutane, that is why the health of young people is sacrificed.
1) Intake of sugar, controls insulin release. Acne is found to have much to do with insulin - a so called hyperinsulinemia.
2) Intake of cholesterol. From cholesterol an excess of hormones is formed, to slightly lower the intake of cholesterol and change it for lighter fats, such as olive oil and omega 3 does have an effect on acne.
3) Antioxidants and acids. Make sure to get antioxidants. Lemon juice is perfect. Apple cider vinegar is also a good acid with antioxidant properties. It helps the enzymes process heavy fat, and strenghtens the immune defense.
4) Eat a lot of fruit, salad, and less fat. Dont use a lot of milk based products, since they contain a form of sugar, lactose, that may increase acne, also they contain cholesterol when fat.
5) Physical exercise strenghtens the immune-defense. Better with condition than strenght (weight lifting increases the hormonal levels) - running or jogging, swimming and alike is best.
6) Try small doses of zink. Remember that zink in large doses are TOXIC, as well as vitamin A in large doses. 15 mg day, no more if you use it.
7) Try to change the temperature in your apartment. If you get cool during night, and have a somewhat weakened immune-defense that results in acne, it might be good to add a little bit of heat during night, or to wear a t-shirt. During nighttime the body should not get cold, viruses increase acne.
8) Tanning. Make sure to get sun. It is well known that in most people Acne gets better during the summer. Tanning is not a bad idea. Tanning in excess just irritates the skin though, and is harmful.
9) Drink a lot of water. It is the base to keeping a balanced metabolism.
10) Try to eat beans. Beans contain phyto-estrogens, and is likely to result in less acne. It is a very light estrogen effect, not notable on mood, comparable to Accutane , which is a permanent androgen, that affects you potence very negative.
11) Eat less salt. Salt increases the action of hormones, also iod is forming a part of some hormones. Excess of salt results in acne.
Some advices. I am sure that acne can be at least reduced enough to be decent. Your hormonal levels decline with age, a fall from a top that is seen in the teenages. This means that your acne automatically will get better, and probably totally disappear with age.
Dont take accutane, it will result in hormonal deficits when you are older, which makes you very tired, and get other complications!!