CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: fermentation

North Views: 776
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 569,680

Re: fermentation

I can help: I've been researching this since I cannot use any type of dairy products and yet need the "good bacteria" (lactobacilus, etc) that people usually get from yogurt. Some folks buy capsules with live good bacteria - but problem with those is that they are very expensive, and unless refrigerated, not reliable. Some time ago I found references to fermented vegetables that have the good bacteria in them, and the fermentation process yields enzymes that help digestion to boot! Apparently people for thousands of years have been doing this, notably the Asians, and of course modern food processing in America has gotten people away from the idea :-(

Note: buying fermented vegetables in a store when they do not specifically say on the lable that they contain live culures of the good bacteria is a bad idea, because they likely won't have those good bacteria any longer. I have a few times found some in stores that do state that they are live, but not often.

So the answer? Either make your own, or buy through the mail from a reputable source. I havn't any through the mail myself, but if you go into your web browser and enter the words "lacto fermented vegetables", or maybe even just "fermented vegetables", you'll find some sources. And making your own isn't hard!

A recipe to make your own is at www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/ferfun.html and there may be other recipes on the internet found by doing a search. Note that the recipe at this site uses salt in the veggies, as do most of the recipes, but also says that if you don't want the salty taste it is possible to add kefir grains to the mix instead of the salt. So I thought "what is a kefir grain?" and found out that they are live little lumps of the good bacteria. To buy those, if you decide to go that route, I'd recomment the following public service free message board on which people with extras of these grains will often give them away for free, or ship them to you for only the cost of shipping: http://66.46.11.99/clarkson/show/clarkson/kefir/default.asp Once you have them, they usually increase in population so that you never need to buy them again.

I'm just getting going on this, so no long-term experience with making the fermented veggies myself, but so far so good. hope this helps,

-North

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.453 sec, (2)