CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Old World musings...

Views: 2,305
Published: 16 years ago

This is a reply to # 507,428

Re: Old World musings...

J,
Yes the second time around in Jordan ( as my husbands family actually had to migrate from the Iraq-Kuwait trauma- to Amman, Jordan late in their life ) So this is the place ( Jordan ) where I have been to see them. This time, I became more aware of the culture than before. I realized they would give you anything even though they needed it rather than desired it. And things are quite exspensive- how could they? It still breaks my heart.
I have heard stories about my best friends trip to India, very funny now that I think of it. One day about ready to enjoy roti,biryani something caught fire up at the ceiling- CHZZzzzzz!!!! lol- A lizard was crawling and somehow connected live wires with its body and was electrocuted ;(
She loved the rickshaws, although I mised out on those, Jordan does not have them. Pakistan however does, as well as the mopeds you talked about. Jordans streets are mostly cars/decorated trucks going faster than the signs, busses, taxis all somewhat of a chaotic harmony unheard of here in the west lol, I know you understand! And alot of people in the streets, especially at night shopping in the bazaars. Once in a while a horse, camel or donkey.
I thought a lot of what you said about the rigidness, and I understand, but I suppose its what holds them together. Being cities which are thousands and thousands of years old, they do know how to get along with each other. And I thought about the way they conduct themselves. Yes they do hug and are affectionate, (they use the horn but not personally- here if someone honks its too offensive. There its a standard.) I did not notice the harshness of the men at all?
In Jordan, I feel they are not afraid to be affectionate with the same sex, there is no fear of being labeled or scoffed at. Here I find something simple as showing love to a friend is either taboo/repressed.... from not being shown alot of affection as a child=is this from not having that support base of extended family around? I see men with maybe a feminine side showing and its SO alright, they do not have a macho image so infused in them, sure Egos' are everywhere yet there is not so visable. Honor comes to mind, they sometimes look up to eachother in terms of how honorable/gracious one is. ( of course thats what I saw, limited ) The women, they work. Also, They are quite romantic in Jordan I must say!

Got to dislike the salt and pepper shakers that say Rolls Royce on them, or the Oil of Ulay, I was confused at first and it was a strange feeling, theres something to be said of worship, good word for it. I like how you said its a place of contradictions, how true.... yet somehow they survive and some things stand to be learned and one can grow from them. We were going to try and visit this last winter, but instead some of the family came here to visit us.

Born here. When I was about maybe 10 or 12? I found an Old Coin. I thought it must have been from an acient land, pirates treasure? I read Kuwait on it... I thought to myself this coin looks so old, maybe there is no one in Kuwait anymore, where is this place, how can this coin be here? I married my husband 10+ years later.

Peace~
m

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

2.031 sec, (2)