Sorry for the late reply. Your doctor does not seem like a very nice person. Anyway, this seems to be excactly the same as what happened to me. I still really wonder why the garlic created such a strong reaction. I would not call garlic toxic, but of course anything can be toxic when out of proportions. My theory is that with the garlic being a very "heating" substance, and that being applied to an area which is inflamed (already heat) makes a volcano at the patch of the skin. (Explanined in terms of chinese medicine hehe). So don't worry, you just have to let the lava from the volcano chill :)
I do not remember completely how long it took me, but i think it healed within a week. It doesn't hurt right?