CureZone   Log On   Join
Image Embedded Stun Gun Protocol for Venomous Bites of the Brown Recluse Spider
LCD Views: 13,177
Published: 16 years ago
Status:       RN [Message recommended for CureZone Newsletter!]
This is a reply to # 388,951

Stun Gun Protocol for Venomous Bites of the Brown Recluse Spider

Stan Abrams, M.D.

Stun Gun Protocol for Venomous Bites of the Brown Recluse Spider

Stan Abrams, M.D.

The method of application of the stun gun for venomous bites is of the utmost importance especially for the brown recluse spider bite. The venom of the BRS has the nasty property of deep penetration and the ability to stay in the system for years, The electrode placement is important.

One 10 to 12 inch extension lead made from a #14 to #10 braided copper wire (depending on availability), with a clip attached to each end. On one end I use a 1-3/8 inch insulated claw clip (Radio Shack #270-359) and on the other end an insulated small alligator clip (Radio Shack #270-378A). The reason for the claw clip is that it has a large flat surface area to make contact with the skin. The smaller alligator clip is used to grasp one of the poles of the stun gun.

The wire with the clips is attached to the stun gun using the small alligator clip. The claw clip is placed on the opposite side of the extremity from the bite using pressure to make good skin contact. If the bite is on the abdomen then you must put the claw clip at least 10 inches away from the bite site on the abdominal wall. The other pole from the stun gun is applied to the skin at the bite site as close as possible. Good contact is a must; otherwise there will be an arc and a spark burn to the skin. The gun is fired for one second and then the pole is moved to the edge of the area of redness and the gun is fired again. You will need to work around the edge of inflamed area in either a clockwise or counterclockwise manner giving 5 or 6 one-second shocks to the area in total. It is not necessary to move the claw clip. The extension wire is not needed for other venomous bites.

It has been my experience that in one or two hours most of the pain has subsided. Any drainage should not last longer than 2 days and you should notice healing starting.

The biological basis for the mechanism behind the shock is:

  1. The current will influence the hydrogen bonds of the enzymes, destroying their secondary and tertiary structure.
  2. The high voltage, low amperage current applied will reduce metal ions and zinc, copper, magnesium, iron, or calcium ions, which are firmly bound to some venom enzymes and are mandatory cofactors for these enzymes.
  3. The electric particles interfere with the membrane as well as the positive charged polypeptides, decreasing their cytotoxic properties.

Taken together the protective high-voltage treatment for venomous bites is at least in part due to action of the electrical current on the venom itself.

Surgery prior to this type of treatment is not the answer since the venom has not been neutralized and the wound will break down again within a few weeks or months. This is well documented.

More Info:


Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!


Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2020

0.438 sec, (2)