CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: mrsfergie

happydog Views: 2,504
Published: 13 years ago

This is a reply to # 386,738

Re: mrsfergie

I'm very sorry my comments bothered you. I did not mean to imply anything about the people who receive WIC. It's the system itself and the kind of food that I have issue with. Processed cereal takes the world's cheapest ingredient, refines it to where it's unuseable by the human body, and sells it for huge profits. Milk is one of the worst foods a child can consume and in this country we produce more than we could sell in a free market (thanks to massive doses of hormones) if the government didn't help it out somehow. Believe me - this system is not set up to benefit the children! Ever wonder why they don't give away vegetables, which are infinitely more nutritious and much cheaper?

My frustrations stem from my own experience with it in my family. I have a daughter who is on WIC. She has two small children and a baby. She gets way more than the amounts you list. When her last baby was born she authorized me to pick up her food for her. I was astonished to see the quantities that they thought were appropriate for two very small children. She gets much more milk and cereal than they can consume.

Unlike you she is not motivated to cook healthy meals and the abundance of filling, free, and ready to serve food removes the incentive to buy vegetables and cook a nutritious meal. Also, the message is reinforced over and over that cereal is a Healthy Food (after all, it's full of Vitamins) and milk is held in almost sacred regard in this country.

What makes the whole thing even worse is that one of her children has an autistic spectrum disorder, which a milk and gluten free diet would probably help immensely, if not downright cure. But as long as she's getting all the milk, cheese and cereal (loaded with preservatives , artificial coloring and flavoring) they can eat, FOR FREE, that's not even going to be considered.

And that's just a tiny glimpse into one kitchen. Multiply it by the millions of people on that program (and yes, food stamps) and you start to see huge problems. I worked for many years as a court appointed guardian for children in the poorest of areas. I've seen lifestyles and food choices that middle class people would not believe. It is incredibly frustrating to see these things on a large scale and to know that this nutritional poverty is going to haunt this country for generations to come.

So again I apologize for my offensive comments. I applaud you for wanting to stay home and personally raise your children. Not that there's anything wrong with others who chose not to. Uh oh I better just shut up :)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

0.672 sec, (2)