CureZone   Log On   Join
Wound Healing

dm0923 Views: 2,935
Published: 15 years ago

Wound Healing

Hey everyone. I stumbled across some interesting info that might be related to whatever’s going on with our lips. I don’t have much time right now (have to go to sleep soon), but I was reading about wound/skin healing after various forms of chemical/laser peels, and some of the info seemed really relevant (at the very least, it might be helpful to understand the phases of wound healing).

I’ve been messing around with applying topical vinegar (acetic acid 5%; at this point I don’t really care about trying random shit) and it’s definitely doing something—it’s too early to tell, but it might be healing very tiny areas, very slowly (at this point, this should be taken with a grain of salt). Interestingly, the article about recovering from the peels mentioned using a diluted concentration of acetic acid to….I’ll just post an except, cause they can explain it better:

“The four stages of wound healing are apparent after a deep chemical peel. They include: (1) inflammation, (2) coagulation, (3) reepithelializaiton, and (4) fibroplasia. At the conclusion of the chemical peel, the inflammatory phase has already begun with a brawny, dusky erythema that will progress over the first 12 hours. This is an accentuation of the pigmented lesions on the skin as the coagulation phase separates the epidermis producing serum exudation, crusting, and pyoderma. It is during this phase that it is important to use debridant soaks and compresses as well as occlusive salves. These will remove the sloughed, necrotic epidermis and prevent the serum exudate from hardening as crust and scab. I prefer the use of _% acetic acid soaks found in the vinegar/water preparation (1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1 pint warm water), as it is antibacterial, especially against Pseudomonas and gram negatives. In addition, the mildly acidic nature of the solution is physiologic for the healing granulation tissue, and mildly debridant, as it will dissolve and cleanse the necrotic material and serum. I prefer to use bland emollients and salves such as Vaseline® petrolatum, Eucerin®, or Aquaphor®, as the skin can be monitored carefully day by day for potential complications.
Reepithelializtaion begins on day 3 and continues until day 10-14. Occlusive salves promote faster reepithelialization and less tendency for delayed healing, which may occur with dry crusting. The final stage of wound healing —fibroplasia, will continue well beyond the initial closure of the peeled wound and continues with neoangiogenesis and new collagen formation for 3 or 4 months. Prolonged erythema may last 2-4 months in unusual cases of sensitive skin or with contact dermatitis. New collagen formation can continue to improve texture and rhytides for a period up to 4 months during this last phase of fibroplasia.”

Source: http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2004/9.2/2.html (emedicine also has an interesting, but very technical, article about wound healing: http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic477.htm#target1

Also, when I use the vinegar, it turns the skin white (depending on the stage of peeling), which might be related to the following statement “the white frosting indicates keratocoagulation or protein denaturation of keratin and at that point the reaction is complete.”

Anyways, I’m sick of making almost random guesses about this shit, so I just picked up a couple of WildH microscopes; once I get the needed supplies, I’ll hopefully be able to at least investigate and post some pictures of what’s actually happening on the cellular level. At the very least, it should prove interesting.

Hope everybody's doing well.
DM

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.719 sec, (2)