CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Just diagnosed with herpes type 2, somewhat scared, in denial, in lots of pain, need some encouragement from others who are living with this also, please...

Views: 2,637
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 372,811

Re: Just diagnosed with herpes type 2, somewhat scared, in denial, in lots of pain, need some encouragement from others who are living with this also, please...

Hi Wrangler,

My sympathy for what you're going through now. The first outbreak is typically the worst. You're also fortunate to have had it diagnosed on the first one as I'm sure your Dr. gave you something for it. I have heard, and experienced, that, if you treat the first one right, subsequent ones will be easier, and often even fewer and further between. I can't swear this to be the case for everyone, but for me it hasn't been that bad at all. I've been with my fiance a number of years and he swears, had I not told him I have it, he would never have known. My outbreaks, until recently, have been very few and very far between. I've also had a healthy child through natural childbirth with no complications whatsoever (my Dr. wanted to give me a C-section, but luckily what he wanted and what God wanted were 2 different things, lol). So, yes, there is hope and it is possible that you can absolutely enjoy a normal life. I don't even think about it unless I'm having an outbreak.

In fact, I have friends with Simplex #1 and though I know there's more of a stigma attached to #2, I'd take it over #1 any day. Although #1 is more socially accepted, no one has to know you have #2 (except your partner, of course) unless you tell them and no one has to know how frequent or infrequent your outbreaks are unless you disclose that matter. #1 sufferers don't have that advantage as a cold sore on the lip tells the whole story for them. No offense to #1 sufferers, but hopefully this reality will comfort Wrangler just a little.

In the past, I've abstained from having sex during an outbreak although I do know of people who have had protected sex during one. The main objective is to avoid skin to skin contact with an active lesion or when you feel one coming on. As time progresses, and you tune into your body, you'll usually be able to tell when an episode is about to surface. Everyone is different, but mine usually last approx. 6 days, but sometimes less.

I know your emotions are running high at this moment, but if you can manage to look at it objectively, it's nothing more than an inconvenience. You won't die from it, it doesn't shorten your life-span and, with all of the ways to manage it now available to us (with or without a prescription) the quality of life you live with it depends almost entirely on you.

For me, the hardest part was telling my fiance I have it. Fortunately, for you, that part is over and now you can begin the process of learning, together, how to deal with it as opposed to letting it control your emotions and your life.

I'm new here, but have discovered that this is a great forum with a wealth of information and people readily available to share their experiences with you. I didn't have any thing resembling this sort of support when I was first diagnosed, but had to go it all alone for many years. You won't have to as that's what we're all here for. So, already, you're in a good position despite a trying circumstance.

I don't know what your faith is, but prayer always helps me and gives me hope and strength. I sincerely hope that you know and utilize that power now and let God comfort you. Remember, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...and herpes definitely doesn't kill, so may you be strengthened in you faith, your resolve to achieve a measure of control over this virus and live the quality of life that you deserve. I assure you that all are 100% possible.

Anytime you need to talk, all of us are just a keystroke away!

Be strong and keep us posted on your progress. ;)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

1.766 sec, (2)