CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Please help! I sprained my ankle

happydog Views: 8,034
Published: 13 years ago

This is a reply to # 360,452

Re: Please help! I sprained my ankle

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with sprained ankles. Here are the best things I've found. The single most important thing is to stay off of it for the first day or two. I've found if I can just do that then it heals up much faster. Secondly, soak in a hot bath with two cups of Epsom Salts and a cup of baking soda. Aim for a full hour but even a half hour is great. It heals everything, but is especially good for sprained ankles.

Send someone up to the drugstore for something called an air cast. It's sold in the same area as bandages and wrist and knee braces. It's a plastic airfilled splint that goes on either side of the ankle with straps to hold it together. This thing is a godsend! It works so much better than the old Ace bandage because it stops all side to side movement. It's great for sleeping in for that reason too. With the air cast you can go to work by the third or fourth day. And you can hide it with pants and usually wear regular shoes. I usually wear the air cast for a full month after the sprain just to make sure I don't reinjure it.

Some people recommend arnica cream but I don't keep any on hand and so I've never tried that. Also, I've always followed the RICE protocol but I recently read that the Ice part of that is not recommended any longer. The Rest, Compression, and Elevation I still do.

Hope you feel better soon, I know it hurts like a son-of-a-gun.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

0.281 sec, (1)