article i found
sorry if this has been posted before, but i found this information very disturbing. i was curious as to what people at curezone think about this.
Your right to choose your vitamin, mineral and other supplements may end in June of this year (2005).
After that, food supplement use in the United States will be defined and controlled by the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
This is the same organization that is consulted by the World Federation for Mental Health, the founder of which stated in his inaugural speech that the "idea of right and wrong" must be "eradicated" from our children.
The CODEX ALIMENTARIUS (World Health Organization Food Code - website: http://www.codexalimentarius.net)
is setting the supplement standards for all countries that are a part of the WTO. They will be enforced by the WTO and will override United States law. The United States President and the United States Congress agreed to this take-over when the WTO Treaty was signed. Violations are punishable by WTO trade sanctions.
CODEX drastically restricts vitamins, minerals, herbs and other food supplements. CODEX met in November, 2004 and finalized Step 8 (the final stage) to begin implementation in June, 2005.
The CODE includes these stipulations:
1) No supplement can be sold for preventive or therapeutic use.
2) Any potency higher than the listed RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance = minimal strength) is a drug requiring a prescription and must be produced by drug companies. NOTE: Over 5000 safe items now in health stores will be banned, terminating health stores and vitamin businesses as we now know them.
3) CODEX regulations become binding internationally.
4) New supplements are banned unless given very expensive CODEX testing and approval.
CODEX now applies to Norway and Germany, among others, where zinc tablets rose from $4 per bottle to $52. Echinacea (an ancient immune-enhancement herb) rose from $14 to $153. (Both examples are not allowed unless by prescription in these countries as they are now labeled as drugs.)
Vitamin C above 200 mg, niacin above 32 mg, vitamin B6 above 4 mg all are banned over-the-counter as they are now drugs. No amino acids (arginine, lysine, carnitine, etc. = essential proteins!), essential fatty acids (omegas 3, 6, 9, etc.), or other essential supplements such as DMEA, DHEA, CoQ10, MSM, beta-carotene, etc. are allowed.
The CODEX rules are not based on real science. They are made by a few people, not necessarily scientists. In 1993 the FDA and drug corporations tried to put all food supplements under restriction and prescription. But over 4 million Americans told Congress and the President to protect their freedom of choice on health supplements.
The DSHEA Law was passed in 1994, which does so. But this will be overruled by CODEX and the World Trade Organization.
Virtually nothing about it has been in the media. What the drug corporations have failed to do through Congress they have gotten by sneak attack through CODEX with the help of a silent media.
What can be done at this late hour?
1) Spread the word as much as possible. Inform yourselves fully at http://www.ahha.org, http://www.iahf.com,
2) Oppose bills S.722 and H.R.3377. These support the CODEX restrictions with U.S. laws, changing the DSHEA law. (See http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/11/07/new_us_bill_on_supplement_ing...
These bills are still "on the table," and need to be squashed.
3) Support H.R.1146 which would restore the sovereignty of the U.S. Constitution over CODEX, etc.
4) Express your wishes to the President, Senators and Representatives (They got us into this!) ASAP. You can find them here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/
5) Contact multi-level health marketing groups such as Shaklee, Quixtar, etc. that can get their members to write their government officials.
CODEX and the FDA wish to protect us by controlling supplements in the same way they do prescription drugs. A study of the latter by three medical scientists was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, April 15, 1998 Vol. 279, No. 15, p. 1200. Incidence of Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) were found to be extremely high. Covering 30 years (1966 to 1996) it was found that in the U.S. an average of 106,000 hospitalized patients per year (290 per day) die from ADRs and 2,200,000 need more hospitalization for recovery. These were FDA approved drugs, properly administered by competent professionals in hospitals -- none were considered malpractice.
This is the number four cause of death in the United States. This is equivalent to one 9-11 attack every ten days. There are very few fatalities from supplements, or the news would be on every front page. There is no need for control of supplements by an organization that obviously cannot do so.
Write your government officials and tell them your opinion on this matter - NOW. http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/
You can also contact:
Wallace G. Heath, Ph.D.
1145 Marine Drive Bellingham , WA 98225
ASH Conference Calls Saturday 1:00 pm eastern time
212-990-8000 pin .. 3024
Wednesday 9:00 pm eastern time
Note: I encourage you to forward this to anyone and everyone!