I believe the Ivermectin dosage has been increased for several reasons:
1. Malabsorption issues. When testing the blood for therapeutic levels of administering Ivermectin orally they are only seeing a small percentage of the drug being taken up.
Hence, it is ineffective.
There are several Vet studies that have also shown this and in several Vet conferences this issue has come up as a serious problem. So, they either give Ivermectin parenterally (IV, IM, SC) or increase the oral dose by X4.
There are now many cases in medical literature where they are administering Ivermectin parenterally and having much better results.
There can be several causes for drug malabsorption:
1. Strongyloides, and other parasites, live in the intestinal lining and often the stomach lining, which causes several adverse reactions.
2. Some parasites can alter the HCL and enzyme levels in the stomach and digestive process.
3. Secondary infections caused by the parasites, either carrying the pathogens themselves or moving through and out of the intestines thereby dragging the infections extra-intestinally to whatever location/organ they end up at - stomach. These infections can minimize absorption and create inflammation.
And, there are other causes for the malabsorption issue seen today.
2. Various studies have shown that higher doses are more effective in treating some of the parasites being treated today.
3. Regarding the increased parasite movement activity after taking Ivermectin... couldn't this also be due to other non-targeted parasites that are simply aggravated by the drug?
Or, not enough Ivermectin is being given to kill the buggers?
I do know that often, it can be due to an increased effect on the targeted parasite before it dies, the "death throes". Sometimes, symptoms get worse before they get better when treating many parasites.