CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Thyroid/iodine protocol HELP Swollen thyroid/nodule.

BurntMarshmallow Views: 2,805
Published: 6 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,272,981

Re: Thyroid/iodine protocol HELP Swollen thyroid/nodule.

Hi there,

One thing I recently learned on my personal road back to health is that low thyroid affects your digestion and absorbing of vitamins, and it's tough to come back from that. More than ever, you need to absorb those vitamins and minerals, but because you're deficient, you can't do it as well. It's often an issue of low stomach acid. (There is a bit of a health trend in some places for a low acid diet, which is not good for you if your thyroid is wonky.) You have to get your stomach acid up in order to absorb vitamins from food and supplements. Maybe that's part of your issue. Maybe not, just something to consider.

From your list of supplements, I didn't see iron mentioned. You need iron to use the Iodine for making thyroid hormone.

"Iron deficiency impairs thyroid hormone synthesis by reducing activity of heme-dependent thyroid peroxidase. Iron-deficiency anemia blunts and iron supplementation improves the efficacy of Iodine supplementation." http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/105072502761016494

Iron can be particularly difficult for the body to absorb during digestion. Men are less likely to be iron deficient, but that also means they are often not checked by doctors. You might want to ask for a ferritin check as well as hematocrit and hemoglobin, especially if you still feel tired, or like you are at 10,000 feet when you are actually at sea level. You can also check the inside of your mouth for paleness.

I recently added iron and felt much better in a few days. I am so sensitive to how my thyroid actually feels now, a gland I never was even aware existed a few months ago, now I feel it when it's working harder or when it's relaxed. I used to have an issue with swallowing because my thyroid was in the way. Since starting iodine, and learning what else to add, that click when swallowing has gone and come back and gone again. I think after adding the iron, I am finally getting the complete package of what I was missing for my thyroid. After a few days of adding iron, my neck felt normal and I had a lot more energy. I think it's so important to get all the supporting vitamins and minerals when solving a thyroid issue, but it's difficult to do that because thyroid problems cause digestion to be impaired.

I feel much better when I take a digestive enzyme supplement with meals, as well as Emergen-C (ascorbic acid combines with minerals to make hydrochloric acid for digestion) with my supplements. You could also take a shot of apple cider vinegar with your supplements, but Emergen-c tastes much better. If you try the ascorbic acid or vinegar with food and you feel worse in your stomach, then low acid is not your issue.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.641 sec, (2)