CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Has Chronic Illness completely changed your personality?

john457 Views: 2,158
Published: 6 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,245,473

Re: Has Chronic Illness completely changed your personality?

"I’m like someone who’s been thrown into the ocean at night, floating all alone. I reach out, but no one is there. I call out, but no one answers. I have no connection to anything."

That quote, from the author Haruki Murakami, is one that often resonates with me. Having dealt with this for so long now (I am 26), I often feel that I can scarcely relate to other people my age.

I think what scares me the most is the idea of wasting what few years are left of my twenties. This is supposed to be a time of adventure and seeing the world and meeting new people and exploring new possibilities. But with acne, and chronic illness, you are shut off from all of that. So many people my age are studying or working abroad this summer and it's precisely those kinds of meaningful international experiences that I don't want to miss out on while I'm still relatively young.

The other day at work I was talking to a colleague and letting on about how I would love to visit Japan one day, how it has been a life long dream. His response was that I should go, that there will never be a better time than now, and I wished so much that I could believe him, but I would never want an experience like that to be undermined by my health or lack thereof, to be characterized by anxiety and fatigue and feeling miserable deep down. There is a quote by Confucius that goes, "No matter where you go, there you are." Sometimes the faraway place is so powerful that the feeling of one's symptoms can dissipate, however fleetingly, but it is always indeed fleeting.

I am seeing a functional medicine practitioner at the end of May, which I am really excited about, but it is a long from now. Only in the past year or so have I discovered functional medicine and thinking about concepts like approaching Acne through detoxification or treating leaky gut or candida or thyroid related disorders and what is particularly disconcerting is knowing how long that process will take when this entire journey has already been far, far too long.

To the OP, how did you finally take control of your life again and get rid of your acne? What steps did you take? Along with seeing a functional medicine practitioner, this summer I want to seriously consider doing my first liver and gallbladder flush while continuing to eat better, exercise more, and improve digestion. For those that are still suffering, are there any best practices or coping strategies you would recommend? Are there any topical treatments or anti-inflammatory supplements that can counter incidents of cystic acne?

I wish you all the best.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

0.547 sec, (2)