CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Recurrent staph infection

longterm Views: 1,966
Published: 7 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,240,966

Re: Recurrent staph infection

I want to make a correction. We may not have Mast Cell Activation. Instead, we may have depressed levels of mast cells. I say this because people with untreated celiac disease or low progesterone have depressed levels of mast cells. It is just confusing since overproduction of mast cells makes too much histamine. But, many of us have allergies. Depressed levels of mast cells create less protection against fungus/bacteria/viruses on the skin of mucus membranes. Or I am not sure what difference is between too much or too little mast cells. I would say to get checked for mast cell disorder. Not as many physicians are familiar with it.

I am confused since I read that mast cells are increased in those with untreated celiac disease. I also read that mast cells are decreased in those with untreated celiac disease. I do not know which one it is!

" food allergies , Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE), Autism, Asthma, Celiac Disease and ECZEMA all have mast cell issues in common. There is a huge need for research into food allergy and its relationship with these other diseases. You have probably heard of most of these diagnoses except for maybe a new diagnosis called Mast Cell Disorder."

http://allergicliving.com/2013/09/15/disordered-mast-cells-and-the-clues-to-food-allergy/

-------
Information on Mast Cell Activation, which may not apply to EC, but I will post it anyway.

- Blood tests consisting of serum tryptase and plasma histamine levels. If the tryptase is greater than 20 ng/mL, then a patient must be evaluated for systemic mastocytosis. In MCAS the tryptase, although often elevated, is almost always less than 20 mg/dL.
- Plasma prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) and heparin levels.
- Chilled 24 hour urine sample for PGD2 and methylhistamine.

Many factors can make the skin become irritated and then thicken, and then begin to peel.

In cutaneous mastocytosis, mast-cell biopsy findings are difficult to identify via standard hematoxylin and eosin staining.

"Mast cells have an important immunoregulatory function, particularly at the mucosal border between the body and the environment. Due to the gastrointestinal tract's large interface with the environment, mast-cell overproduction or overactivation can lead to gastrointestinal disorders.1 These cells have been found to play an increasingly important role in the pathophysiology of gastrointestinal diseases.

Recent evidence has found that mast cells may play a role in the last-phase response and chronic remodeling of mucosal tissue, as histamine and tryptase have been shown to stimulate fibroblast growth in vitro and in vivo.

Mast cells are also affected by both acute and chronic stress. Anatomic connections between mast cells and enteric nerve fibers have been demonstrated in human gastrointestinal mucosa and are known to increase with inflammation. The mast cell–enteric nerve association provides a physiologic means for bidirectional communication between the central nervous system and intestinal tract through which stress may influence gastrointestinal function.

If one is lacking the enzymes that are responsible for the breakdown of histamine, symptoms can occur. Also, if one has overly active mast cells, too much histamine can be produced, which overwhelms the body. This is called mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS).

Treatment options for MCAS include H1 antihistamines (such as Claritin, Allegra, and Zrytec and their generic forms), H2 antihistamines (such as Pepcid and Zantac), and mast cell stabilizers such as ketotifen and cromolyn sodium. I initially had a difficult time finding an H1-blocking antihistamine that worked for me, as most contain cornstarch and other sulfited ingredients which are triggers for my mast cells to degranulate. But I have recently done very well taking a compounded sulfite-free form of generic Claritin twice a day. I have also done my best to follow a low-histamine diet, and I believe that this has made the biggest difference in my symptoms improving. Yasmina, the Low Histamine Chef, who also has MCAS, has been a wonderful resource for learning about the low-histamine diet and recipes."

Histamine-Rich Foods (including fermented foods):

Alcoholic beverages, especially beer and wine.
Anchovies
Avocados
Cheeses, especially aged or fermented cheese, such as parmesan, blue and Roquefort.
Cider and home-made root beer.
Dried fruits such as apricots, dates, prunes, figs and raisins (you may be able to eat these fruits – without reaction – if the fruit is thoroughly washed).
Eggplant
Fermented foods, such as pickled or smoked meats, sauerkraut, etc.
Mackerel
Mushrooms
Processed meats – sausage, hot dogs, salami, etc.
Sardines
Smoked fish – herring, sardines, etc.
Sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk, yogurt – especially if not fresh.
Soured breads, such as pumpernickel, coffee cakes and other foods made with large amounts of yeast.
Soy and soy sauce
Spinach, tomatoes
Vinegar or vinegar-containing foods, such as mayonnaise, salad dressing, ketchup, chili sauce, pickles, pickled beets, relishes, olives.
Yogurt

Histamine-Releasing Foods:

Alcohol
Bananas
Chocolate
Eggs
Fish
Milk
Papayas
Pineapple
Shellfish
Strawberries
Tomatoes

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  www.curezone.org

6.156 sec, (3)