You lack stomach acid. You really need to take other nutrients as well as Betaine HCL to assure proper stomach acid. These are:
* Liquid Kelp Extract....The stomach needs iodine for proper digestion so taking a liquid kelp extract would definitely help. Take it every day at the advised dosage.
* Chlorides...In the form of magnesium chloride will aid digestion. 250 mgs twice day with meals.
* 1/4 tspn sea salt per day. More chlorides and minerals.
* B50 or B100 complex -- with Vitamin B12. Taken with food once a day.
* Zinc gluconate -- 25 mgs per day. Also essential for digestion.
Main stage digestion in the upper intestines(duodenum) needs an alkaline to neutral pH environment for the pancreatic enzymes to work. If the pancreatic juices contain low bicarbonates then the digestion medium will be too acid(from the stomach acid) and digestion will not work. So best to also take pancreatin enzymes(with papain and bromelain) as well at every meal.
And one hour after every meal you should also take 1/4 to 1/2 tspn sodium bicarbonate (baking soda -- Arm & Hammer is fine to use) in water. This ensures that main stage digestion in the duodenum will work properly at the proper alkaline to neutral pH.
And just in case you're worried about taking baking soda and stomach acid -- stomach digestion stops half an hour after you finish eating your meal and the excess stomach acid is normally completely re-absorbed into the parietal cells of the stomach for the next meal.