CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Appointment with Nutritionist

longterm Views: 978
Published: 7 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,114,231

Re: Appointment with Nutritionist

I had my appointment. She said she has never seen a Vitamin B5 deficiency before, but she sees a Vitamin A deficiency once in awhile. I guess there is no worry about vitamin supplement toxicity with Vitamin B5 since it is water soluble instead of fat soluble....fat-soluble vitamins can build up in your fat cells. I told her I was not sure if I had a fat malabsorption problem since I am absorbing other fat-soluble vitamins, and I do not have diarrhea symptom. She explained that not every case involves diarrhea. She also explained that different parts of the intestine work better at absorbing different vitamins so the area that absorb the vitamins I am deficient in may be damaged (the villi). She pointed out that I should take a 10,000 IU Vitamin A supplement since I am unable to absorb it through food with my celiac disease. So, I received the answer if it is best to get the vitamin A through food or supplement. After my intestines heal on a gluten-free diet, I should then try to get my vitamins through food. It should be noted that high amylase enzyme in saliva (can be caused by celiac disease) could make lips peel. I was surprised that she said one carrot contained about 8,000 IU of Vitamin A! I usually eat one shredded carrot with salad every day. As she said, people with vitamin A deficiency (at least with my condition) will not be able to absorb Vitamin A unless they take it in supplement form. She recommended a 10,000 IU Vitamin A supplement no matter how deficient one is. However, the amount of Vitamin A in your multivitamin should be deducted from that amount (if you take a multivitamin). I found out there is a Vitamin A injection one can get in arm if the supplements are not working. I have no idea if it would have the same risks as Vitamin A injected into IV.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2020  www.curezone.org

1.719 sec, (1)