AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE... Improving and Curing it with Dr. Joel Fuhrman , M.D
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ok, in this post of mine, the information of two articles of this Famous Doctor will be combined. Before turning to the topic, I would like to RECOMMEND to those, who are interested, after reading this article Also GO to the links provides in order to get MORE Information regarding that. Quite a few words were Highlighted in this article (providing FURTHER information by Clicking On Them), so I Do Advise you go to those links to get More Knowledgeable about this Important topic. Also a free recipes for those with this issue will be included in those ‘highlighted’ links. Thanks. ~DI
Who is Joel Fuhrman..
Joel Fuhrman , M.D., is an American board-certified Family Physician who specializes in Nutrition-based treatments for Obesity and Chronic Disease. He is on the medical staff of Hunterdon Medical Center and also serves as Director of Research for the Nutritional Research Foundation.
Nutrition Instead of Drugs to Treat Autoimmune Diseases..
According to the National Institutes of Health, autoimmune diseases affect 23.5 million Americans, and the prevalence is rising. Autoimmune diseases are one of the top ten leading causes of death for women under the age of 64. The direct costs of autoimmune diseases are estimated to be around $100 billion per year.
Unfortunately, the most common methods of treating autoimmune diseases are fraught with Serious Side Effects:
• Rheumatologists commonly prescribe Immunosuppressive Drugs for patients with Autoimmune diseases. These Drugs Decrease the Immune response by Damaging the Immune system itself. When the immune system is suppressed, the body is much more susceptible to other infections and canNot repair damaged tissue.
• Cytotoxic (toxic to cells) and Chemotherapeutic agents are the active part of Immunosuppressive drugs, and this treatment is Similar to undergoing Chemotherapy for Cancer. These Cytotoxic agents are potentially Dangerous - for example, the FDA has issued a warning for Remicide, a drug commonly used to treat Autoimmune disorders, linking it with an Increased Risk of lymphoma, leukopenia, and opportunistic infections with fatal outcomes.
• Immunosuppressive drugs greatly increase Cancer risk. A 10-year study of patients undergoing immunosuppressive drug treatment found that the patients had a 400% increase in cancer risk.
• Drugs used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis are also strongly associated with a wide spectrum of hepatotoxic effects and drug-induced liver disease.
Fortunately, Numerous Studies have shown PROPER NUTRITION to be an Effective and Safe treatment for Autoimmune diseases. Proper nutrition Removes Toxins while simultaneously providing Nutrients that Normalize malfunctioning Immune responses. Also is fasting is an Effective adjunct to a high nutrient diet for Autoimmune sufferers. I previously reported numerous case studies documenting the contribution of fasting to remission of autoimmune disease in published case reports.10 Autoimmune diseases, similar to Cancer and Heart disease, are primarily a result of Inadequate Early-life Nutrition. While it is always preferable to Prevent these diseases through healthy Diet in the first place, RECOVERY through Proper nutrition and intermittent fasting is Possible in Most cases.
By transitioning to a High Nutrient Plant Based diet and uncovering hidden food sensitivities , many of my patients who once suffered from autoimmune diseases have made Significant Improvements or have Recovered and are Free of Illness as well as Toxic Side Effects of the drugs (!) . Read about Elisa’s Recovery from lupus accompanied with debilitating headaches and fatigue, Laury’s freedom from MS flare-ups; and many more Success stories of people who overcame Autoimmune Diseases with a high Nutrient Diet (this Bit, as a few others, was highlighted in the article, so please see the Original Link provided below to read about those Stories or for More details). For further information, read my Healthy Times Newsletter on the Nutritional Care of Autoimmune Diseases (available in the member center).
In the ‘Eat To Live’ book and November 2004 Healthy Times Newsletter by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, he outlines a specific Dietary protocol for people with Autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis . I suggest you read the whole book and newsletter, as they are More Detailed, but I will outline his Autoimmune Protocol below.
“The key to treating autoimmune illnesses is to obey the H = N/C formula. Only then can the immune system begin to normalize its its haywire circuitry”. - Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Eat to Live (book)
Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Dietary Protocol for Autoimmune Disease..
1. High-Nutrient, VEGAN diet (No dairy), Rich in GREEN Vegetables
2. Blended salads/smoothies and blended soups (utilizing Leafy greens) to Increase absorption of Phytochemicals.
3. Fresh vegetable juice (carrots, beets, parsley, kale, and other Greens)
4. High-dose fish oils or plant-derived EPA and DHA (fish oil is best for Autoimmune sufferers)
5. Beneficial bowel flora (A very potent one he recommends is VSL #3)
6. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Herbs such as Turmeric, Quercetin, Ginger, and Bioflavanoids
7. Multivitamin/mineral, plus additional vitamin D3 supplementation (either in liquid or Softgel forms)
8. Supervised Water-only fasting, Used Periodically, If Necessary
9. Dietary Avoidance of - Salt, Wheat, and Oil (nope)
(source: Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Healthy Times newsletter, November 2004)
Far More Detailed information (for Those who NEEDS that) with free articles, free recipes and videos Related to this topic plus, as I said, with far more Detailed Touch of the points mentioned above. See all that in a section “Helpful Tips’ on that page (links provided Bellow).
And I personally think, If Dr. Fuhrman Successfully Cured or Improved the condition of many Auto immune disease patients (read those successful stories in the link I provided above) then, perhaps, his method Works. For those who disagree, please look for other sources of information or go for Conventional ‘cures’. Life is about Choice and also Things which you Believe in. It is Not ‘an Easy’ topic to dive into and Expect Magic results but still Giving it a Go using Plant Based Diet is STILL a CHANCE to get it better.
Some suggest that grass-fed meat, wild-caught fish, organ meat are allowed plus coconut oil.. But the Doctor Fuhrman thinks otherwise (disagree). I guess it is You Choice which way to try. I am just providing you with Information I personally believe in. The net is full of opinions, so Dive in.