I also tried aloe vera capsules before. All it did for me was to make my buildup come up feeling very stiff and dry. The protocol I am trying now seems to be working for me.
1) Rinse with a saline solution. (I use Walgreen's thimerosal-free sterile formula)
2) Rinse the saline solution off with water.
3) Gently pat dry with a towel.
4) Allow the area to dry somewhat.
5) Apply a thin amount of a 1% hydrocortizone ointment. (I use cortizone-10 maximum strength water resistant formula)
6) Apply a thin amount of aquaphor or vaseline over the hydrocortizone ointment to create a strong barrier.
I do this when I wake up, after I eat, and before I go to bed. My lips began feeling much better by the second day of me doing this, and I have had EC for almost 19 years now come this June. I got EC from picking my lips with the wires of my braces when I was stressed the hell out back in high school. EC has been my hell on Earth.
Congratulations on beating your EC, and congratulations on obtaining a normal life again. Also, thank you for sharing your experience & solution towards it with the rest of us.