Good question! I don't think the problems associated with mercury fillings are exaggerated at all. It's a major toxic load that the immune system CAN deal with if it's healthy and there aren't too many other kinds of toxic loads combining with it - which is where our own efforts and choices figure in.
It's amazing that you're feeling great after all you've been through. I'm sure at one point you thought you'd NEVER say those words again. But your curiosity and aggressiveness in finding natural solutions has obviously paid off amazingly well (as it usually will). Congrats Jen!