If you do an internet search, it will show up that too much vitamin A can cause peeling lips. I do not know if the problem could be that it is toxic to your blood or tissue. I applied a substance over a large area of my skin that can be toxic to the blood and cause systematic problems if it gets into a cut on your skin. It is possible I had a cut one out of the many times this substance was applied on my skin. Doctors told me it does not absorb into the skin, but I do not know since some medications are absorbed through the skin. For instance, it is advised not to apply vitamin A (retin-a) to your skin while you are pregnant because it absorbs.