CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Recipe please (and various garden stuff/thoughts) Re: Green Tomato Chutney

The Internet’s Healthiest Recipes
Hundreds of healthy delicious recipes for optimum he...

Herbal tinctures and supplements
Hulda Clark Cleanses

More
Calibelle Views: 1,296
Published: 7 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,999,530

Re: Recipe please (and various garden stuff/thoughts) Re: Green Tomato Chutney

I agree that nothing brings the wonderful feelings of blessings and satisfaction quite like growing your own food items. And even though I just have a patio in which to grow something, I have a pot for tomatoes; jalapenos; basil and parsley; then a 3 x 3 square foot garden (highly recommend "The All New Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholemew) in which I grow almost all the kale I use, Swiss Chard and arugula.
The SF Gardening method makes gardening completely easy and without ANY work (no weeding,etc.) and KNOWING that you WILL BE an assured success is what eliminates all the fears! So, no worries, and no work - who wouldn't!? Easy-peasy.

Ok, I'll post the recipe and then any notes, as it called for 5 cups of tomatoes, but I had closer to 7 cups, so I made adjustments:

GREEN TOMATO AND APPLE CHUTNEY

5 cups Green tomatoes, chopped (I had about 7 cups)
3 cups Green-skinned apples* (I used 5 and they were kinda small)
1 large Red bell pepper, seeded & coarsely chopped (I only had one red pepper, so didn't change it)
1/2 cup Raisins (I used just under a cup)
2 tbsp Ginger, chopped (I used a knuckle)
2 Garlic cloves, chopped (I used more)
1/2 tsp Mustard seed
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Ground coriander
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp Salt
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup Mild white or rice vinegar (I used a cup and a half)

*Apples should be peeled, cored and coarsely chopped. In a large 4 or 5-quart saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until thickened. Cool, then store in glass jars in the refrigerator. Let chutney mellow for a few days before serving.

** I was nervous about it being too vinegary, and I love HOT foods, so I added red pepper flakes and just a scant bit of jarred pickled jalapenos - like 4 or 5, but you don't have to of course.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

0.359 sec, (1)