CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Rebuild Flora- T2, re: acv

trimnut2 Views: 3,543
Published: 9 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,992,327

Re: Rebuild Flora- T2, re: acv

Hello Chiron, Guardedly, I'm still looking around for Doctor Seuss.

ACV is an easy ferment for me. Your potted description is fine except your forgot to mention that you would ferment the apple juice first to make apple cider. Then add the mother.

The biggest initial issue is sorting a good apple blend. As the juice quality/taste determines the cider "sharpness" and that affects the ACV also. As a rough rule of thumb 2 tart to 1 sweet/mild same size is a good place to start.

Mother "amount" is immaterial - good ACVs grow their own. Can you source ACV mother easily? If so I recommend finding any Apple cider that you like and adding it to the mother. Try Scrumpys as well. Do a number of them remembering initial taste and your apprenticeship is almost done. That way you will learn the relationship between cider taste and the resulting ACV. I am assuming that the ciders aren't overloaded with baddies that may affect the culture.

As far as process goes: Get your apples, put them through some sort of masher/shredder, place in strong slotted barrel, strong cloth lined, in a press. Collect the juice.

Put the juice in containers, airlock and let bubble away.
That is the touchy phase, not an issue here but sometimes the natural cultures don't flourish etc etc. When things are looking settled and you like the taste add it to your mother as you desire. Allow at least six weeks to produce ACV, three months is better. Sealed bottle the rest for future drink or ACV.

A fun ferment and delightful taste. Every best C.

T2.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

4.000 sec, (1)