RE: If this process begins to locally boil the water, you end up with extra chemicals in the mixture. Part of the extra by products produced is chlorine.
This is most interesting. Can you tell me if it is the solution of the reaction that would need to boil in order to release Chlorine or the final solution? Also, if it is the Chlorous Acid, then do you know what the boiling point for that solution is?
RE: As you can see, this is a very controlled process that is far different from Jim Humbles method of mixing the acid and sodium chlorite together then heating the mixture up to drive off the chlorine dioxide.
Since I'm not versed in Chemistry, based on what I've read it sounds as though the measures taken to eliminate Chlorine are relative to the production size. If this is the case, then would it apply to the smaller processes such as 1oz of Sodium Chlorite and Citric acid?
RE.I don't know how much chlorine is produced with the various methods of producing CDS, but it seems to be enough to change the pH of the water. It is much lower than the amount of chlorine exposure from MMS2.
Have you measured any Chlorine in your own CDS? Also did you do a pH comparisson between your distilled water and the final solution? If so, what was the pH value for your CDS? The pH in my own solution seems to of stayed the same, though to be sure, I'm going to test again tomorrow when I made a fresh batch of CDS.
RE. I mix up a chlorine dioxide in water solution when I need it. This eliminates needing to store high concentration solutions and any worry about how stable those solutions are. I use 5% sodium chlorite, 6% HCl, and then buffer the solution to a neutral pH.
I make 250ml at a time, though I just use standard MMS and Citric Acid to make it. I tried using a scrubber in the past but I was told that it was a waist of time with the base products that I was using which contained no harmful bi-products. However... if I do find Chlorine in my own solutions then I'll likely reinstate the scrubber in the process.
Having said that, I ordered some high sensitivity Chlorine strips that can measure as low as .01 ppm which should be sufficient to identify if there is any Chlorine in the mixture. Though I guess if its low enough, it can't be worst than driking tap water.
PS. In an effort to try and find more information on the creation of Chlorine in the making of Sodium Chlorite, I found the following information(fr.Wikipedia):
Since 1999 a growing proportion of the chlorine dioxide made globally for water treatment and other small-scale applications has been made using the chlorate, hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid method, which can produce a chlorine-free product at high efficiency. Traditionally, chlorine dioxide for disinfection applications has been made by one of three methods using sodium chlorite or the sodium chlorite - hypochlorite method:
2 NaClO2 + 2 HCl + NaOCl → 2 ClO2 + 3 NaCl + H2O
or the sodium chlorite - hydrochloric acid method:
5 NaClO2 + 4 HCl → 5 NaCl + 4 ClO2 + 2 H2O
All three sodium chlorite chemistries can produce chlorine dioxide with high chlorite conversion yield, but unlike the other processes the chlorite-HCl method produces completely chlorine-free chlorine dioxide but suffers from the requirement of 25% more chlorite to produce an equivalent amount of chlorine dioxide. Alternatively, hydrogen peroxide may efficiently be used also in small scale applications.
Very pure chlorine dioxide can also be produced by electrolysis of a chlorite solution: