CureZone   Log On   Join
SSKI & sebaceous cysts

just thinking Views: 6,842
Published: 8 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,890,296

SSKI & sebaceous cysts

There's absolutely nothing off-topic about sebaceous cysts. Here's what Dr. Wright says (about halfway down "cysts & stones melt away." The combo of SSKI & DMSO is critical, as the DMSO helps carry the SSKI into cyst.

Could one bottle in your medicine cabinet hold the
healing secrets for everything from cysts to toenail fungus?

By Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.

Nutrition & Healing November 2002

Can you imagine drinking dirty, contaminated water right from a river? In most cases, you’d have a lot more to worry about than a case of infamous “Montezuma’s revenge.” Depending on what part of the world the water is in, it could be infested with all sorts of disease-triggering bacteria (cholera comes to mind, but that’s just one example). But despite all this danger, I have a friend, a retired Indian physician, who likely drank contaminated water for 30 years while he traveled from village to village in Africa-and he never got sick once. All he did was add a few drops of a common solution (after straining the sediment and debris through a cheesecloth, of course) two or three minutes before he drank it.

It sounds preposterous, I know. But it wasn’t some “magic potion” brewed up by an exotic shaman that he used to disinfect his water-it was plain old iodine. Fortunately, the water available in the places most of us travel to is considerably cleaner, but, to be on the safe side, when my wife Holly and I travel, we always carry a small bottle of potassium iodide, a form of iodine combined with molecules of potassium and usually referred to by its abbreviation-SSKI. We put one or two drops into any water we’re not absolutely sure about.

You probably remember iodine as the orange liquid your mother put on any cuts or scrapes you came home wearing like a badge of honor as a child. But as you’re probably already guessing, iodine’s potential goes far beyond being a simple disinfectant. There are literally dozens of uses for iodine and SSKI-and most of them are ones you’d never expect.

The germ-killing travel companion no one should be without

Holly and I have cut back considerably on airline travel this year because of the thoroughly disagreeable “airport Gestapo” experience. But even without all that, there are plenty of other unpleasant realities that go along with air travel. For example, when you sit in the cabin of an airplane for several hours (or more), you’re breathing recycled, germ-laden air. That’s why it’s not uncommon to come down with a respiratory infection (“airline sinusitis”) following a flight. So when we’re forced to travel by air, Holly and I drink a few ounces of water with 10 drops of SSKI. The SSKI rapidly accumulates in any and all body secretions, including in the sinuses, where it inhibits or kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi before they can cause an infection.

There have also been times when we’ve gotten to our destination-usually a conference somewhere -and one of the women in attendance comes to me with the embarrassing and uncomfortable symptoms of a bladder infection. Certainly not the sort of infection you want to catch when you’re far away from home (and your doctor). Luckily, I always carry a small “backup” bottle of SSKI, which I give to her with instructions to take 10 to 15 drops in water or juice every three to four hours (while awake) until the infection is gone.

SSKI is close to 100 percent effective in eliminating bladder infections, but the amount needed is a relatively high dose, so it’s important to use it with caution. Make sure to read the sidebar “Using SSKI safely” on page 5. (For more information on bladder infection treatments, see the October 2001 issue of Nutrition & Healing.)

So far, I’ve been telling you about SSKI’s ability to kill germs in one place or another. We’ll return to this important home remedy use for SSKI, but for now let me tell you about some of its other uses.

End years of suffering with painful breast and ovarian cysts in as little as three months

Many women develop “fibrocystic breast disease,” which is characterized by painful cysts in the breasts. In the 1970s, I learned from Dr. John Myers (one of the pioneering researchers in the use of trace elements) that iodine can minimize and possibly eliminate even the most severe cases of fibrocystic breast disease. In minor to moderate cases, 6 to 8 drops of SSKI taken daily in a few ounces of water will frequently reduce fibrocystic breast disease to insignificance within three to six months.

I’ve seen remarkable results even in patients with very severe fibrocystic breast disease–sometimes there’s improvement in as little an hour or two. In these very severe cases, I use a form of iodine called Lugol’s solution, which is applied to the vaginal area and cervix. Then, the iodine application should be followed almost immediately by an injection of magnesium sulfate. Of course, you’ll need a doctor’s help with both of these steps (for a referral, see the Resources box on page 8).

Over the past 30 years, I’ve also used SSKI to treat at least 30 women-one of them my own daughter-for ovarian cysts. These cysts usually disappear within two to three months with the same quantity of SSKI mentioned above for breast cysts.

Iodine, iodide, SSKI, what’s the difference?
Iodine is a basic element, like calcium, zinc, oxygen, etc. The word “iodine” usually refers to two iodine molecules chemically “stuck together” (I2), just as the word “oxygen” usually refers to two oxygen molecules “stuck together” (O2). Since pure iodine is more reactive to other elements, it’s more likely to cause problems, so iodine is usually used as “iodide,” a word that refers to one iodine molecule combined with another molecule-often potassium (KI). So, even though they’re not technically the same, for simplicity’s sake, I’ve used the terms iodine and SSKI interchangeably in this article (though always meaning SSKI unless noted otherwise).
The “SS” in “SSKI” refers to “saturated solution of potassium iodide.” If you’ve read or heard anything at all about potassium iodide, it’s probably been in association with terrorist attacks or nuclear power plant disasters. Potassium iodide (usually taken in tablet form) is recommended by “public health” authorities to protect the thyroid gland against accumulation of radioactive iodine that would be released by an atomic bomb or by a nuclear power plant meltdown. But in reality, potassium iodide is very effective for lots of less drastic scenarios and is a “home remedy” with literally dozens of uses.

But please do not use this treatment for either of these conditions without monitoring your thyroid function…(see “Using SSKI Safely” on page 5). Testing for fibrocystic breast disease and ovarian cysts and treatment of them using SSKI requires the help of a physician skilled and knowledgeable in nutritional and natural medicine, who can also help with monitoring thyroid function. (See the Resources section on page 8.)

It’s very likely that SSKI helps eliminate fibrocystic breast disease and ovarian cysts at least partly through its interaction with estrogens…which brings me to another important use for SSKI. Various forms of iodine, including SSKI, can help your body to metabolize estrone (a slightly carcinogenic human estrogen) and 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone (a much more dangerous metabolite of human estrogen) into estriol, an anti-carcinogenic–or at worst, neutral–form of human estrogen. I’ve reviewed literally hundreds of hormone tests in over 26 years-all of which have proven this point.

Iodine’s benefits may save you the pain and embarrassment of some sensitive conditions

“But what ever happened to the old way iodine was used?” you might wonder. “What about applying it to my skin? Does it have any benefits that way?” It’s a good question with an even better answer-a resounding yes.

Iodine has just as many topical applications as internal, and the results are just as great. In fact, some of the topical applications might save you from the continued pain and embarrassment of some rather sensitive (and I mean that in every sense of the word) conditions.

You don’t hear much about Peyronie’s disease. But that’s not too surprising when you consider that most men would rather not talk about “problems” below the belt. Peyronie’s disease occurs when the tissue along the shaft of the penis thickens, causing erections to become increasingly curved and even painful. Applying SSKI to the thickened tissue twice a day over several months can soften it considerably and eventually allow for more normal functioning.

Unlike Peyronie’s disease, there are plenty of options for people with hemorrhoids-over-the-counter creams, pads, and ointments, those inflatable “donuts” to sit on, and, of course, surgery. Unfortunately, the less drastic ones aren’t very effective, and the more drastic are just that–drastic. But my colleague Richard Kunin, M.D. (a world-class expert on the use of SSKI and other forms of iodine) has found that hemorrhoids will disappear-sometimes literally overnight-when a mixture of 20 drops of SSKI and 1 ounce of flaxseed oil is applied to them at bedtime. SSKI alone will do the same job, but Dr. Kunin’s patients have reported that it “really stings” when applied by itself.

Dupuytren’s contracture is a condition sort of along the same lines as Peyronie’s disease, except in this case, the thickened tissue occurs along one of the tendons in the palm of the hand, pulling the connected finger down. If it progresses far enough, sometimes it’s impossible to straighten the finger out at all. Rubbing SSKI into the affected tissue of the palm at least twice a day can “loosen” it and prevent the condition from progressing to the point of causing a deformity or disability.

In Dupuytren’s contracture and Peyronie’s disease, it’s also helpful apply a mixture of vitamin E and DMSO, along with the SSKI, to the thickened tissue. You may also want to take 2 grams of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) three times a day. And last but not least, you should also have a glucose-insulin tolerance test done: There’s an unusually high incidence of insulin resistance in people with these conditions. (For more on insulin resistance, please see the July and August 2001 issues of Nutrition & Healing.)

This loosening of thickened tissue also works for scars, especially keloids, which are abnormally thick (sometimes up to an inch) scars. Rubbing SSKI into a keloid at least twice daily will ultimately flatten it down to a normal scar. But patience really is a virtue here: It can take many months to a year for particularly bad ones. You can help the treatment go a bit faster if you mix SSKI “50-50″ with DMSO.

The pictures are worth a thousand words: Fight cholesterol buildup and unclog arteries with a simple supplement

Over 30 years ago, two ophthalmologists observed that when they gave patients a combination tablet called “Iodo-niacin” (which contained 120 milligrams of iodide and 15 milligrams of niacin) and instructed them to take it for several months, the supplement actually reversed atherosclerotic clogging of arteries. And it’s hard to argue with their proof: They took pictures of clogged arteries in the backs of the eyes before and after treatment. The published “after” photographs showed a significant lessening of the cholesterol-laden artery clogging.

Amazingly enough, no follow-up study has ever been published (probably because niacin and iodide aren’t patentable). But the published pictures speak clearly for themselves.

I learned about iodine’s power to help “dissolve” oils, fats, and waxes (cholesterol is actually a wax) way back as a pre-med student. The famous Harvard chemistry professor Louis Feiser made a point of demonstrating this to my classmates and me, and he urged us to remember it in our medical practices (he told us he was sure it wouldn’t be taught in medical school-he was right).

I took Professor Feiser’s advice to heart and still recommend 4 to 6 drops of SSKI and a niacin-containing B-complex vitamin as part of a daily supplement regimen for anyone with significant cholesterol-related clogged arteries.

Cysts and stones melt away with just one dose a day

Sebaceous cysts are another example of SSKI’s ability to dissolve fats and oils. Unlike breast and ovarian cysts, sebaceous cysts contain oily, fatty material and usually appear rather suddenly on the face or in the groin area. But the good news is that you can get rid of them just as quickly as they come on-generally in just a week or two-by rubbing in a mixture of equal parts SSKI and DMSO (the same mixture I talked about for Dupytren’s contracture and Peyronie’s disease). Somehow the iodide seems to work right through the skin-seeping in and dissolving the buildup in the cysts. From there, your body slowly re-absorbs the fat or oil and disposes of it properly.

SSKI’s final dissolving “trick” works for a less common condition than the ones I’ve mentioned so far. But, in medicine, you’re bound to see even rather uncommon conditions every once in a while. From time to time, someone comes to my office at the Tahoma Clinic looking for alternatives after having been diagnosed with parotid duct stones-and having been told surgery is the “only” option. Thank goodness for second opinions: Parotid duct stones (which block the ducts that carry your saliva) can be dissolved in four to eight months just by drinking a glass of water containing 3 to 4 drops of SSKI each day.

From toenail fungus to pimples: Get rid of those nagging, bothersome problems once and for all

Now, let’s move on to some bothersome conditions that just about all of us have experienced at one point or another-and I’ll tell you how SSKI can help.

Ease COPD without lugging an oxygen tank using this invaluable tool
I covered chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema (probably more well known as chronic obstructive pulmonary/lung disease, or COPD/COLD) in depth just a few months ago in the August issue of Nutrition & Healing, so I’ll only touch on it briefly here. But it bears repeating that SSKI is an invaluable tool for this condition. It “gets into” all body secretions, including COPD’s characteristic thick, hard-to-cough-up bronchial secretions, which get infected very easily.
SSKI takes care of both of these problems. It loosens secretions remarkably, making them much easier to cough up and get out of your system. And since it’s a very effective antimicrobial too, it also prevents microorganisms from growing easily and causing infection. Depending on the severity of the COPD, I recommend drinking a glass of water containing 3 to 6 drops of SSKI each day. Please keep in mind, though, that since COPD is usually a chronic condition, you’ll probably have to use SSKI indefinitely. So it’s absolutely crucial that you make sure to monitor your thyroid function!

When my children were teenagers, they always knew where to find the SSKI bottle. Whenever one of them got a pimple, she or he knew to rub SSKI into it every hour or two. The offending “zit” disappeared in 24-48 hours or less (and let me tell you-this approach saved the day for more social events than I can count).

Then there’s infected hangnails. Most people never even think to try to “cure” them, but they’re very easy to clear up (as are nagging bacterial infections around the edges of the toenails) by applying the 50-50 SSKI/DMSO mixture to them. Rub in the mixture several times daily, and the problem’s usually gone in a few days. Cold sores (and other herpes outbreaks) can be stopped cold in the same way, but it often takes longer for the sore to heal itself over.

Toenail fungus is one of those annoyingly persistent conditions that just doesn’t seem to respond well to many treatments. Even conventional antifungal drug treatment takes months to work, and using them means you need to have monthly liver function tests for safety reasons. The SSKI and DMSO mixture doesn’t work any faster, but it’s just as effective as antifungal drugs-and definitely safer. Rub it on, around, and under the affected toenails. And make sure to wear old socks, because SSKI and other forms of iodine leave an orange-brown stain. (If you really don’t want to ruin your socks, you can also use oregano, geranium, or tea tree oils mixed with DMSO for toenail fungus.)

SSKI can also help clear up vaginal infections. Twenty to 30 drops in water, used in a small “douche” once daily for five to 10 days will usually do the job. (There’s actually a prescription-only iodine preparation of available for vaginal infections, too.) However, iodine preparations of any sort for vaginal infections aren’t usually very popular because of the inevitable orange-brown stains they leave on clothing.

And last, but not least, there’s also a gastronomic use for SSKI. I’m sure you know the little song (popular among most 10-year-olds): “Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you-” well, you know the rest. It might be a silly and slightly crass song, but it does speak the truth! But, sure enough, SSKI can help reduce the gas we all get from eating beans. If you soak beans before cooking them, add 1 or 2 drops of SSKI, and let them soak for another hour or so. (Make sure to rinse them and use fresh water for the actual cooking process). You’ll be surprised at how much less gas you feel later. (For those who want a technical explanation: There’s a naturally occurring enzyme inhibitor in beans that interferes with starch digestion-this is what produces gas. SSKI inactivates this enzyme inhibitor.)

Using SSKI safely: Three important things you need to know
As you’ve read, SSKI has enormous potential benefits. But there are three hazards you need to know about when using it: staining, allergy, and a very small possibility of thyroid suppression with long-term use.
Staining can be a big nuisance, but it’s not a health hazard. When SSKI is applied to skin, it can leave a faint to moderate orange-brown color, which fades away once SSKI is no longer being applied. SSKI and other iodine stains in clothing can be semi-permanent or permanent, so don’t plan to wear anything nice when you’ve just applied SSKI.
Iodine allergy is possible, although, in nearly 30 years of medical practice, I’ve only seen it maybe a handful times. Usually, it causes a red, bumpy skin rash, which is almost never a serious emergency. The rash generally goes away after SSKI or other iodine is discontinued.
On very rare occasions someone may have an allergic reaction that interferes with breathing and sends them to the emergency room, where the doctor tells them iodine is the culprit. This sort of reaction is, in most cases, not actually an allergy to iodine, but instead to much larger molecules found in lobster, crab, clams, and other shellfish, which do sometimes contain iodine. However, further testing usually shows that the allergy is to the specific seafood, not the SSKI or iodine. But if you’re still worried or if there’s any suspicion at all of iodine allergy, it’s best not to swallow any without testing for allergy or sensitivity.
The last precaution for you to be aware of is thyroid function. Taking large quantities of iodine for an extended period of time can suppress thyroid function. Many of the uses described for SSKI in this article are short-term, from a few days to a week or two. If you stop using SSKI at that point, there’s almost no chance of significant thyroid suppression. However, if SSKI is to be used for two to three weeks or longer, and especially if it’s to be used continuously (like for COPD or cholesterol-related atherosclerosis) monitoring thyroid function is very important. To find a physician near you who can help order and interpret thyroid function tests, consult the Resources section on page 8.
Fortunately, in my experience with over 1,000 individuals, internal use of nine (or fewer) drops of SSKI daily has hardly ever resulted in thyroid suppression. On those very few occasions that it does, the patient has had a prompt recovery just by discontinuing their use of SSKI. So far, I’ve never seen an instance of topical use of SSKI causing thyroid suppression.
A final “safety” note: Dr. Kunin cautions (and I agree) that if you use SSKI or other iodine long-term, make sure your diet contains plenty of essential fatty acids (both omega-3 and omega-6) as well as the amino acids methionine and cysteine. If you eat meat or other animal protein on a daily basis, you’re probably getting enough of these two amino acids, but if you’re vegetarian (or close) and using long term SSKI, then be sure to take 300-500 milligrams of each daily.

Getting your hands on this all natural “cure-all”

By now you’re probably wondering why-with all of its benefits-you haven’t heard or read much about iodine. Well, basically, it all boils down to the fact that the FDA forbids companies from making “claims”-even truthful ones-on product labels or advertisements. Unless, of course, they’re paid an enormous amount of money (in the neighborhood of $250 million) for “approval.” Since SSKI can’t be patented, and no one can make back all that money they paid for approval… well, you know how it works.

SSKI can be obtained without prescription in some compounding pharmacies, some health food stores, from “on-line” sources, and through the Tahoma Clinic Dispensary (with which I am of course affiliated) in a convenient travel-size dropper bottle. JVW

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

0.359 sec, (15)