I have a bad reaction to homemade water kefir. I actually had a mild cold after using it for several weeks, and my sweat had a sour smell reminiscent of the kefir. While I feel better now after dumping it all about a month ago, I still have a little bit of that smell to my sweat, and I don't think I have it all out of my system.
Actually it would be out of your system per se, but what is most likely going on is that some of the bacteria worked its way to the skin. The intestine is only one part of the body that contains these beneficial flora. Of course the vagina also has these bacteria, as do the sinuses and the skin. So if some of the bacteria colonized on the skin this would explain the smell of the sweat being reminiscent of the kefir.
You would know better than I, but I assume I had an unusual reaction to one of the probiotics in the kefir. How do I clear my system of this?
The bacteria will have also taken up residence in the intestines, but still the smell is still likely to be more from bacteria that made it to the skin. One thing you could try though is to introduce a different source of the good bacteria. Maybe another cultured food. The new bacteria can compete with the existing bacteria and crowd most of them out.
One other thing to consider as to why you got sick with the kefir is if the culture got contaminated. This is actually easy to do when culturing foods.
Btw, thank you so much for this outstanding forum! :-)