CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: What is the best way to test for Celiac Disease?

summerhaunt Views: 2,012
Published: 9 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,764,719

Re: What is the best way to test for Celiac Disease?

The stool test is supposed to be more accurate than the blood or biopsy, and with the stool test they can also do genetic testing for celiac disease. Enterolab is a place that does the stool testing. When I can, I'm going to get this testing done, just to make sure one way or the other and so I can say to family, yea or nay as per the test. With a family of doubters, just cutting gluten out of my diet and saying I feel better won't mean a thing.

Nice thing about the stool test, is if you have cut out gluten from your diet for a while (at least if it's been within 1-2 years), the test will still find if you have the antibodies in your intestines. With the blood test, you have to have recently eaten gluten, and may even have to be reacting badly for it to test positive, which is why a lot of times you may test negative with the blood test when you really are allergic to gluten. Blood test often only shows positive if you have full-blown celiac disease. A lot of folks aren't all the way to celiac disease but are just allergic and haven't yet done the extreme damage to their intestines ... but they will progress toward that damage if they don't avoid the gluten, so they need to know just as much as the celiac. That's where the stool test, I think, would be a great boon ... those of us who test negative with the blood test.

Blood test for me is negative, and I don't think I'm celiac, but do suspect I may be on my way. I suspect I may have a mild allergy to gluten that isn't showing up with the blood test. And I'm going to find out, hopefully before I ever do get bad enough to say it's celiac sprue.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2020  www.curezone.org

0.438 sec, (1)