CureZone   Log On   Join
Self love exercise ideas

healthyartist Views: 11,164
Published: 9 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,734,114

Self love exercise ideas

Okay, so if you can be OCD about things that you are afraid of then it seems quite possible that you could become very good at being OCD about things that are focused on self love.

My suggestion is to find the time of day that you generally have the most energy and turn that part of the day, every day, into the time that you will take part in your self love ritual. You design the details of your ritual to be as loving and generous to your self as possible. Whatever feels the best to you. The Artist way speaks of an artist date, where you take yourself on a date, alone. The goal is to go where ever feels the most exciting to you (without judgement). Since most of us are too sick to go anywhere, you could have this date in your home doing something that feels really self supporting.

The second most important most life changing exercise is what she calls morning pages. But again, it is important that you write these when you have energy. She suggests the morning because the time of day does seem to dictate what the contents of the journal session will be like. Morning journal writing for me tends to include thoughts that are all the root of my being and also it's possible to catch dreams that you wouldn't otherwise remember. These dreams can te you a lot about yourself. Evening pages for me are more likely to be about the course of events that day and don't tend to be as life altering, but they are still good. I think it is most important to do them when you have enough energy to do them. Do them especially when you find yourself in cyclical thought patterns.

So the rules for healthy people are to do three full pages of writing, non stop, without editing your thoughts. Do them every day. Don't reread them until you've accumulated a couple of weeks worth. Then, go back and read them with a loving heart. You can use a highlighter to find patterns in your thoughts that you would like to change. You can also highlight positive patterns.

Another exercise that I like to do with my students is to have them collect symbols from their writing, their dreams, their artist dates and rituals and make a list of these symbols.

I then have them write a conversation with the symbol In a stream
of consciousness manner. I set a timer for ten minutes for them to do this. You will be amazed at the things that you will uncover through these exercises if you are open to them.

You could also take a pile of magazines and cut out ANYTHING that feels inspiring to you in any way. Again, it is enential to do this without judgement. You can cut out images, words, colors, patterns. You can use the symbols that you gather later in a writing exercise or you can make a collage that is simply a reflection of you.

You could also make a collage that has to do with your goals for your life. Maybe the same imagery from above would be pertinent.

I find laying on the ground in the sun to be highly envigorating. Baths and broth too, of course! ;)

I used to bang on a drum and sing "I am a being of pure light, I am a being of pure love! Of light! Of love", whenever I was sad. Or simply an "I love you Beth" song.

The key here is to learn how to treat yourself with the massive amount of love and affection that you deserve.

Again, I highly suggest "The Artist Way" and "The Vein of Gold" by Julia Cammeron. Some of it may need some tweaking for sick folks, but they are chock full of exercises that will help you to love yourself better.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2019  www.curezone.org

1.203 sec, (2)