CureZone   Log On   Join
Weed recipes

Free Clark DVD!
Bestselling author Dr. Hulda Clark claims to have cured cancer

Blood Worms?
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Beautiful Skin From Powerful Oils and Roses
Remove signs of aging by renewing skin cel...

More
More

Free Clark DVD!
Bestselling author Dr. Hulda Clark claims to have cured cancer

Blood Worms?
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Beautiful Skin From Powerful Oils and Roses
Remove signs of aging by renewing skin cel...

summerhaunt Views: 2,195
Published: 11 years ago

Weed recipes

As promised, here are a few "weed" recipes. These are NOT the ones I was remembering from a week cookbook I had—I'm still looking for that cookbook after my husband did some rearranging of our bedroom and my bookcases. But, my son has a copy of "Wild Edibles of Missouri" by Jan Phillips (published by the Missouri Department of Conservation, if you want to order a copy) that I've just now looked through and am very fascinated ... all sorts of uses for the wild things!

I'm just randomly selecting a few. I have not tried any of these recipes. If you want more, order the book. However, when I do find that other cookbook, I'll post some more!

Day Lily Fritters

1 c. Flour
1 c. Champagne or beer
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 T Oil
Day lily flowers (opened blooms)

Mix together the flour, beer, salt and oil. Let sit for 30 minutes. Dip the blossoms in the batter, then fry in hot grease, drain on paper towel, then dust with sugar.

Day Lily Buds

Pick the day lily unopened buds while still in tight bud. Boil in salted water for a few minutes. Serve with melted butter if desired. These are supposed to have a mildly "green bean" taste with the texture of asparagus.

Weed Soup

12 c. Milk
1 1/2 T Salt
3 c. Water cress, sorrel, or lamb's quarters
2 T Onion (1 T if using wild onion)
1/2 c. Flour
3 T Butter

Boil the weeds for a couple minutes then drain. Heat the milk, salt, greens, onion, and butter, adding the flour to thicken. Heat but do not allow the mixture to boil.

Cattails

24 shoots or heads of Cattails
Salted water
Butter

Boil 3 minutes in water, remove and eat the heads like corn on the cob; shoots are an asparagus-like vegetable. You can eat the raw shoots in a salad.

Walnut Soup

2 c. Chicken stock
2 c. Dry white wine
1 Shallot, diced
1 T Heavy cream
2 tsp. Tarragon
1/2 tsp. Thyme
Dash of any: Salt, celery salt, cayenne, white pepper, onion powder,
dry mustard, fennel seed, paprika, oregano, sage, and
coriander.
1/2 stick Butter
3/4 c. Black walnut meats, toasted
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Parsley

Combine stock and wine; bring to a boil. Add the shallot, cream and spices. Bring back to a boil and cook 4–6 minutes. Whisk in butter, a tablespoon at a time. Add walnut meats, garlic powder and parsley.

Also, for those of you who love onions and garlic, and all such plants of the allium family ... I came across a treasure while I was looking for my weeds cookbook: "The Wild Onion Cook Book". It was put out by The Northern Illinois Unit of the Herb Society of America (The Wild Onion Unit). Besides recipes, it goes into some of the history and folklore of the edible alliums. It's fascinating! The book is a beautiful green three-ring binder, so it will lay flat when you're cooking, or you can remove a page as you work with it. The book is a little old, as we received it more than 10 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's still available. Back then, proceeds went toward supporting the National Herb Garden.

Northern Illinois Unit of HSA. Wild Onion Cook Book: All You Want to Know About the Edible Alliums: Chives, Garlic, Leeks, Onions, Scallions. Audubon, IA: The Northern Illinois Unit, 1997.

I do have an address that they put in the book, in case anyone wants to order a copy (assuming they still have some available after this long).

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2020  www.curezone.org

0.111 sec, (2)