CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: studies on long-term enema use

Valerie_cct Views: 51,033
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,294,396

Re: studies on long-term enema use

Hi propaul and 37380,I saw this a few days ago but haven't had a chance to reply until now. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any controlled studies on long-term enema use.

This just doesn't seem to be a subject of interest for those in the health care field in general, let alone those in the medical field, despite the large number of people who rely on enemas as the only way they are able to achieve regular bowel movements.

I've had an interest in this topic for a number of years now as a result of the situation in my own family, along with people I have met in my profession of colon hydrotherapy (clients as well as other colonic practitioners), along with the many many emails I receive from people who use enemas with varying frequency asking for advice and help.

My family on my mothers side has a history of constipation that goes back several generations and I was no exception. My Nana moved in with us after my grandfather died, and she has relied on daily enemas since she was in her 30's, and after giving birth to 6 children although she is frail and doesn't move around as easily as I remember when I was little, she is still in good health and her mind is sharp.

I remember helping my mom, and then eventually on my own during my teen years giving her enemas after I got home after school. She is the one who gave me the money to buy my first colonic machine when I began doing colonics. One of my aunts has had a Colema board for years, and a few years ago my cousin bought one that her entire family uses often.

My previous postings that propaul has added to this discussion above accurately reflect my feelings on this subject, and very few people I have met or corresponded with have expressed regret at reaching the point where the enema has become an essential part of their daily or every other day routine. I personally believe that long term regular enema use is not harmful for a person unless they have some health condition that contraindicates their use.

Of course this assumes that the enemas follow long established recommended procedures and the recipient maintains an adequate balance of vitamins and minerals. To ensure this, I recommend periodic visits to a health care professional, preferably a naturopathic physician, or at least a holistically oriented MD, and include lab tests to verify that electrolyte levels (primarily Sodium and Potassium) are within recommended levels.

However, I have also treated clients who wanted to break their dependency on the enema habit, and this is something that can be done in many cases. It depends to a great extent on how long the person has been relying on enemas, their overall lifestyle including activity levels and diet and nutritional habits, but most of all the inherent bowel motility (muscle strength of their large intestine) that they were born with.

For those people who come to me, professionally administered colonics can assist greatly in re-strengthening the muscular tone of their colon and help in retraining the bowels to move on their own. Not in every case, but in many.

I hope this was helpful,

Valerie

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  www.curezone.org

0.781 sec, (2)