CureZone   Log On   Join
Is it right to disclose?

sparque Views: 6,854
Published: 10 years ago

Is it right to disclose?

I'm having trouble making a decision. I have a client who was raped, the details are too bad to go into, nor are they relevant. I have just started working with her, where she is slowly talking about it, but still having a lot of trouble in both trust and not wanting to remember. Yet I have known her 2 years and worked through childhood issues, this is brand new.
My question is whether it would help or hurt her if I disclosed my incidents? While she isnt there for me to get therapy, I'm wondering if my revealing would let her know I understand her pain, or would it be counter-productive.
In our training, some people say that a therapist should never disclose, and they show the evidence to back up their view.
Other people say some self disclosure is fine...not too much, but enough to build trust and rapport. It helps the client to talk and feel safe.
So....I'm wondering if anyone here can offer advise on this, how you would feel if your therapist disclosed? Would it help or hurt?
Thanks...

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2018  www.curezone.org

0.109 sec, (1)