CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: our only mantra: "just leave us alone."

Original Hulda Clark
Free Shipping on orders over $49

Beautiful Skin From Powerful Oils and Roses
Remove signs of aging by renewing skin cel...

Your Ad Here
Place your ad here !

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

More
More
  Views: 1,399
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,055,643

Re: our only mantra: "just leave us alone."

I read it as you meant it, Oh. But others may not have, so I wanted to share my story about the Cook family. I've got dozens of heartwarming stories like that.

I was thinking last night about the "leave us alone" mantra myself, and thought along the same lines as you. Why not tell the USG or State of State the same thing, as much as possible, in every department? It took years, and I mean, like over a decade, of consistent, dedicated effort to get to the point where the TEA/ State of Texas did leave us alone and came to view Texas homeschoolers as a major force to contend with. Back in 1981 when I first heard of home schooling everyone doing it was underground b/c the state had ruled that it was illegal. But it wasn't. There were NO laws on the books, the TEA just looked at each other and the Commissioner shrugged and said, idk, it's illegal. So all of a sudden police officers and sheriffs started showing up at the door of homes with CPS agents and dragging mothers off to jail and putting their kids in foster homes. For teaching them how to read.

Anyway, Texas and Iowa have complete "don't you dare touch the homeschoolers on penalty of loss of your seat in the House" laws. Others, like your own Pennsylvania, have stupidly restrictive, totally controlled legislation re: homeschooling. I think PA has the worst/most restrictive laws for home education in the US. I don't know if it's because Texas is God's Country or we're the Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt or what it is. But before you run off and marry some pretty gal and start homeschooling a passle of little Ohs and Ohsettes, you need to know your own state's laws re: homeschooling. Or come move down here to Texas. For real. Many have.

For anybody reading this far and are seriously thinking about homeschooling, here's a link to a national home education website which can tell you how to find out what your state's laws actually are:

http://www.hslda.org

I can't give anybody a dollar amount on how much it costs to homeschool because of the different state laws. I do know that if you have a computer with internet and a good printer, plus a library card, you can almost do it for free. You'll need a phonics program to teach the little guys how to read and about 10 math textbooks plus solutions manuals, but you can pick these up cheap on Ebay or at used book sales. You can spend as much as you want, especially when you factor in music lessons and sports, but you don't HAVE to. You watch for the school supply sales every year in August and pick up as many items in bulk as you can. You budget every month for this so it's not such a hit when it comes time. You ask Grandma and Grandpa for book titles and educational toys for Christmas and birthdays. A lot of it you just learn as you go.

HTH,

Donna

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.org

1.797 sec, (2)