Second Special Note: There has been a lot of commotion in health circles about a product called Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS). It is being advertised as the answer to AIDS, hepatitis A, B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind's worst diseases. The claim about how the chlorine (a poison, not what would be considered a mineral for health)[vi] interacts with pathogens is the same claim we can make about iodine (a safe nutritional mineral), which is known to also kill pathogens of all types on contact. I do not mean to make a qualified medical opinion on MMS, which is chlorine dioxide. Chlorine dioxide is formed from the chemical combination of sodium chlorite and the acetic acid (vinegar) or citric acid. Chlorine dioxide is dangerous to handle and use. A search for material safety data sheets sustains the risk of using this substance.
Chlorine dioxide: May decompose explosively on shock, friction or concussion, or on heating rapidly. Strong oxidant - reacts violently with combustible and reducing materials, and with mercury, ammonia, sulphur and many organic compounds.[vii]
A strong irritant of the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract; [HSDB] A strong oxidizer that promotes combustion; Concentrated solutions may be corrosive to the skin and eyes; Mild hemolytic anemia and increased methemoglobin in males is observed in animal feeding studies; [CHEMINFO][viii]
Acute Health Effects: [ix]
Ingestion: Not a normal route of exposure. Harmful if swallowed. Can cause irritation to mouth,
Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled. Coughing, headaches, labored breathing, nausea, shortness of breath,
Chronic Health Effects:
May have effects on lungs, resulting in chronic bronchitis and permanent lung damage (with chronic exposure).
The use of dangerous poisons is common in allopathic medicine. Even when pharmaceutical companies jump through hoops costing many millions of dollars to test such poisons (most pharmaceuticals are mitochondria poisons) it does not remove the dangers of the poisons, which create all kinds of complications and side effects. The natural allopathic medicine of Survival Medicine only uses such poisons as a last resort.
It almost never makes sense medically to ignore the basics, the air we breathe, the water we drink and the sun. Minerals like magnesium and iodine are up there with the prime basics of life and the use of poisons like chlorine dioxide should not be considered for use unless the basics do not supply the necessary resolution. In the special case of the supposedly magical mineral substance we have something vastly safer, more natural and proven through over a century of medical use. We have iodine, which has the same anti pathogenic profile as that claimed for the chlorine compound.
It is hard to believe that chlorine would
be selective in what it damages or kills.
A later meta-analysis found chlorinated water is associated each year in America with about 4,200 cases of bladder cancer and 6,500 cases of rectal cancer. Chlorine is estimated to account for nine percent of bladder cancer cases and 18 percent of rectal cancers. Those cancers develop because the bladder and rectum store waste products for periods of time. (Keeping the bowels moving regularly lowers such risk.) Chlorinated water is associated with higher total risk of all cancers.[x]
Lastly, the marketing materials and promotion of this chlorine compound are not anchored in medical science or reason. It is very hard to verify claims or trust those who whip up medical hysteria because we never know when testimonials are just projections of the hysteria. The placebo effect is alive and well and its waters fertilized when unsubstantiated claims are made. It makes sense sometime in medicine to take risks but not before medical basics is employed first. Why promote the use of something that has inherent dangers when we have something proven and safe.
Mark Sircus Ac., OMD
Director International Medical Veritas Association