Why do we allow message editing on CureZone, when there are people who abuse this function ... usually in debates ...
There are far more people who benefit from this option, then those who abuse it.
Many years ago, that option was not available to users, only to moderators.
During that time, moderators received many requests for editing messages.
The requests were generally based on the next grounds:
- privacy concerns (a person revealed some information that he/she would like removed from the web)
- incorrect message (a person changed his/her mind about something ... would not like to keep info on the web ... )
- Copyright infringement (a person included Copyrighted material ... )
- verbal abuse (a person got angry .. used bad language ... wants to remove it ...)
- breach of CureZone TOS
- breach of guidelines
- links included in a message are not working
- images embedded in a message are not working
- other objects embedded in messages (audio/video) are not working
- spelling errors
That time, there were hundreds of people visiting CureZone ... and we had to enable that option out of our inability to handle all "Edit" requests.
Today .. there are 60,000 people visiting CureZone every single day, posting up to 1000 messages a busy day. It would take an army of moderators to handle all possible "Edit" requests.
It is much more easy to allow people to edit their own messages ...
To prevent message editing in debates ... you can always quote (copy/paste) the original message you are replying to.
That is why the original message is visible on the same page where you are posting a reply (to allow you to quote .. if needed).