A web site can be very, very profitable if you include at least these factors.
If you want to make money selling ads:
- Do keyword research
- Do competition research
- Have good AND fresh content!!
- DO the onpage optimization for your keyword
- Put your Adsense or other on the top left position or to the left, besides the text
- Create a lot of traffic:
* Submit your site to directories
* Blog a lot (get the word out)
* Post to forums a h*ll of a lot
* Don't submit to search engines as they will rank you higher if they find you on their own - through blogs, forums and directories
* Do, absolutely DO viral marketing - at least include "Suggest this site to a friend" script
* Write emails to related websites and ask them to link to your site
* ..., ..., ...
- Make an autoresponder free newsletter always referring your subscribers to your website.
- Watch your profits grow
If you are selling a product:
- create a good producd (duh)
- create a killer sales letter
- the most important step. Take your time here. Think of all the objections your clients might have to buy and try to dispel them. Make it long, put a lot of benefits in it.
- Your site should NOT look too profesional. Repeat the "Order now" link all along the website (not too obvious though, but at least 7 times) and start doing it at the bottom half of the page.
- Have a free newsletter for those who do not decide to buy right away.
- Give a lot of bonuses. You can get those all around the net. Make sure it is legal!
- Have a great post-sales letter ready - congratulate your costumers on their purchase
- Create a lot of traffic - same as the above, but include affiliates.
Here, this is it in the flash. Now, go to work :)