im just going to throw this out there because it happened to me.
had not been to the dentist in 5-7 years and i thought my enamel was getting thin near the tip as my teeth were kind of transparent looking.
in the past i had used alot of whitening toothpaste but had stopped and i thought this was damage from it.
went to a holistic dentist and told him about it and asked him what i could do.
he had one look at my teeth and said they were in great shape, just a little stained. they cleaned them and the discoloration improved by 80%. and now im working on the remaining 20% with natural whitening toothpaste again but going in cycle, or using it for a while and then not.
i also mentioned to him my recent teeth sensitivity. and he said its most likely because you grind/clench you teeth at night. i told him i didnt do that but he said to pay attention to it. check in the morning for tired jaw and things like that. sure enough i noticed that i was clenching my teeth 60% of time without even noticing it. i have now retrained myself to not clench and the pain is gone.
id suggest finding a holistic dentist and going for a checkup. mine was very understanding of not wanting xrays and has a fluoride free clinic.