Juárez violence leaves 10 slain on Friday
By Daniel Borunda / El Paso Times
Posted: 11/22/2008 12:04:24 AM MST
* Juarez Violence
* Nov 20:
* Juárez deals with fears of extortion, robberies
* Nov 19:
* Barrio Azteca gang member helped avert hit, witness says
* Nov 18:
* 3 men are arrested, linked to 6 slayings
* Nov 15:
* Suspects in Cereso slaying are arrested
* Ambassador visits Juárez consulate
* Nov 14:
* El Diario journalist slain in hail of bullets at home
* Killing for drug 'quota' described in gang trial
* Nov 13:
* Officer testifies suspect on trial flaunted Azteca membership
Related: Find more on the violence in Juárez.
The violence in Juárez continued to rage with at least 10 homicides occurring Friday.
Among the slayings were a triple homicide in the morning, a man gunned down outside a pool hall in the afternoon and a killing at a funeral home in the evening.
Shortly before 6 a.m., two unidentified women and a man were shot to death in a PT Cruiser on Rusia street, Chihuahua state police said.
At 2:30 p.m., Rodolfo Humberto Martha Jimenez, 27, was shot 13 times in the parking lot of the Pocket's billiards on Avenida de las Torres, police said.
There have been more than 1,300 homicides in the Juárez area so far this year, including nearly 30 since Monday.
In a brazen attack before dawn Thursday, gunmen fired at a Juárez hotel housing federal police, possibly in retaliation for the seizure Wednesday of two tons of marijuana. No injuries were reported.
Last weekend, Nov. 14-16, 22 people, including an El Pasoan, were slain.
On Nov. 15, Ricardo Miranda, 27, who had an ID card stating he was a resident of El Paso, was shot multiple times on a street in the Bellavista area in west Juárez, police said.
Daniel Borunda may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org;546-6102