--aerobic vs anearobic--
[ QUOTE from Zabavadad--An anaerobic cell uses 18 times more energy for metabolism than a normal aerobic cell. This is the basis for the PET scan. Cancer cells are hogs for glucose because they are so inefficient in oxidative metabolism.]
please provide the citation--for the differences in aerobic v anerobic metabolism
p 199 of a text by Kleiden and Lorenz on the energetics of aerobic v anerobic and other bio thermodynamics states:
"aerobic respiration provides about an order of magnitude MORE energy than anerobic respiration" ( caps are mine)
and also they state as cells use ATP as their energy "money", with aerobic metabolism the efficiency of converting glucose to energy is 32% with the other 68% lost as heat.This is due to 31 mol of ATP from 1 mol of glucose
anerobes in contrast ONLY get 2-4 mol ATP from 1 mol glucose and an implied similar efficiency of about 31% BUT the resultant energy yields are far LESS
these authors say that anerobes have an energy output of 1/16 ( one sixteenth) that of aerobes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can they be USING MORE ENERGY????? the output would be higher if that was true.
I have vast experience with composting--in composting the anerobes take longer and they have a slower metabolism!!!thats why you cannot generalize in areas you know nothing about
as for PET scans--many cancers do NOT show up!!!!
and many areas not cancerous may have higher metabolic activity at the time and light up!!!
the glucose uptake may NOT even have to do with higher metabolism but a CHANGED metabolism...per JOHNS HOPKINS
The Hopkins scientists report that the loss of a single gene in kidney cancer cells causes them to stop making mitochondria, the tiny powerhouses of the cell that consume oxygen to generate energy.
Instead, the cancer cells use the less efficient process of fermentation, which generates less energy but does not require oxygen. As a result, the cancer cells must take in large amounts of glucose. The appetite of cancer cells for glucose is so great that it can be used to identify small groups of tumor cells that have spread throughout the body.
note LESS ENERGY USED, they need more glucose due to lack of mitochondria not because theyre "inefficient"--they have NO mitochondria--and not because higher metabolism/energy used
get an education--Id suggest a simple class in general bio followed by anatomy and physiology--Id offer a spot in one of my University classes but Ive been on disability leave for years now--and Id not wish you on any of my colleagues!!!