The Baloney Detection Kit 12 y
Carl Sagan on a simple list that will help you avoid false claims and pseudoscientific fraud
CARL SAGAN’S BALONEY DETECTION KIT
Based on the book The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan
The following are suggested as tools for testing arguments and detecting fallacious or fraudulent arguments:
* Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the facts
* Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.
* Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no ”authorities”).
* Spin more than one hypothesis - don’t simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy.
* Try not to get overly at ... read more