The smell and taste are related to concentration.
Water treatment uses 1 PPM where the Miracle-Mineral-Supplement
protocols use much higher concentrations.
Chlorite and chlorine dioxide are related, but different. When chlorine dioxide loses 1 electron (at an electron potential of 0.95 volts) it is changed to chlorite. Chlorite seems to be more stable in the body, but also causes adverse effects at higher concentrations. Around 70% of the chlorine dioxide forms chlorite.
You can buffer a chlorine dioxide in water solution to make it neutral and it will not have the same chemical burning that occurs with an acid. Chlorine dioxide penetrates tissue and may be able to eliminate your bone infection. You are looking for something in the 60 - 100 PPM range with a PH in the 6 - 7 range.