"The main drawback in using chlorine gas or sodium hypochlorite is that these react with organic compounds in the water to form potentially harmful levels of the chemical by-products trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids, both of which are carcinogenic and regulated by the U.S. EPA. The formation of THMs and haloacetic acids is minimized by effective removal of as many organics from the water as possible before disinfection and/or by adding ammonia immediately after chemical disinfection is completed. Formerly, it was common practice to chlorinate the water at the beginning of the purification process, but this practice has mostly been abandoned to minimize the production of THMs. "
These products have been around for a long time. When I was up in Reno visiting there was a lady up there promoting a similar product and claiming it was safe to take with medications, which I really thought was dangerous advice. She had no idea how the chlorine in the product would react with medications. It could be anything from oxidative destruction of the medications rendering them worthless to the production of very toxic substances. Most of the most powerful poisons known to man contain chlorine compounds.