Newly diagnosed with strongyloides. General question!s
I was recently tested for Strongyloides and the tests came back positive... twice. (serum) I am trying to learn what I can about this parasite because my doctor has only treated this twice in his medical career. (That's twice more than my other doctors.) He found it only because I insisted that I thought I had parasites and all other tests were negative (stool, roundworm, hookworm, etc.) He took a shot in the dark, and was totally shocked when the labs came back positive. I've been sick and mostly off work for over 18 months.
I have some questions, if anyone has time to answer any of them I will be so grateful!
1) I am insulin dependent diabetic with also hashimotos' hypothyroid. So, that makes me autoimmune "challenged". Does this put me in the "high risk" catagory for this parasite? Am I in danger now of the 90% fatality from dissemination?
2) How do I know if the worms have disseminated? I have SO many symptoms that move around... I lost almost 30 pounds
last year, but was able to put the weight back on through a lot of eating. But I do not have my energy or my vitality back at all. I continue to lose iron and need daily supplementation. I have eye pain. There are days I am just totally wiped out, for no reason.
3) What would the symptoms of CNS involvement be?
4) What is the best treatment? My doctor has me on mebendazole for two months, and then will switch to ivermectin. I'm worried that the Vermox will just drive the worms internally... but maybe he's on to something. I do feel better (a little) after the first week on Vermox. (100mg nightly, moving up to 200mg... but that's all i can handle right now)
5) What about Wormwood
, cloves, garlic, neem and the others? What about coffee enemas. Are they helpful?
6) Has anyone experienced problems after a gym workout? I decided to get back to the gym NO MATTER WHAT, but found that after lifting mild weights one day, the next day I was in bed most of the day with spasms and utter fatigue. I worried that perhaps I had jostled loose some worms into my system? (or maybe my imagination).
7) Is it possible I got this from my boyfriend who has lived in China, Southeast Asia, Egypt and a whole bunch of places? My boyfriend is also being tested (results not in yet)... if he tests negative, does that mean he definitely does not have strongyloides? I live in Sacramento... all my doctors keep saying they never see this. It's a tropical disease. They keep asking me if I have traveled out of the country, but I have not. but I do go barefoot a lot, and I do garden a lot (organic). How did I get this? Do I need to always wear shoes forever more?
8) Is there any quantitative or other kind of testing to let me know when the worms are GONE? labCor and Quest barely knew what the IgG serum test was. They said they have no capacity to test stool or do other serum tests. So how do you know when you can stop treatment?
9) what is the best kind of doctor to treat this? A tropical disease specialist? Infectious disease specialist?
10) I've noticed that I am just all-round more sensitive to everything now. I have started unplugging my circuit breakers at night now in my bedroom so I can wake up more refreshed. Has anyone else experienced EMF sensitivity, food sensitivities and all the rest... and is this permanent, or does it clear up when the worms are killed? I have also noticed that since starting the Vermox I am more prone to sore throat and feeling like I'm sick... got a vaginal infection for the first time ever, I feel like I'm really shaking up my whole biosphere.
11) ANY advice on diet, mental health, or other ways of getting through this would be so appreciated. I do have a counselor who has been trying to convince me to get on antidepressants for months. Now she's sort of apologetic--but maybe she was right. I need to do whatever it takes to get through this.
Thank you All! I appreciate any responses to any of these questions. Blessings... Lori